Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

HELP ID'ing KEPI

Article about: Hi, This is another piece of headgear that I can't identify. The collector called it US Civil War but I think later and maybe French speaking. Thanks. Steve

englishmade
    ?

Default HELP ID'ing KEPI

Hi,

This is another piece of headgear that I can't identify. The collector called it US Civil War but I think later and maybe French speaking. Thanks.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images HELP ID'ing KEPI 

?

Default Re: HELP ID'ing KEPI

I'm pretty certain that this is not U.S. Civil War, any markings on the inside that would help. I do believe you are on the right track on the French line though.

Very well could be pre US Civil War. Will see if I can find this plate in Duncan Cambell's book on US Helmet plates. It was common practice for local militia units to import european style unforms, especially from France. Just about every city had its own militia and no two had the same uniform. This style leather shako is very much like those seen in the militia units from 1840's up to the Civil War.

Terry

Steve,
    Attached are a couple pic from Duncan Campbell's book on American Headgear Insignia. I haven't found this particular plate however there were litterly hundreds of different helmets and plates from the 1800"s. If I can find more direct photos will get back to you.

Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HELP ID'ing KEPI