Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Help Needed with Boer War/WW1 Medal Group and Index Card.

Article about: Hi just wanted to know if any of the experts here could help shine some light into the Boer War/WW1 medal grouping my wife bought me for Xmas. The medals are as follows Queens South Africa m

Default Photo of Albert Arthur Curtis!!

Well, here he is one remarkable old boy who died back in 1955-ten years before I was even born! Joined the military aged 16 and served for a total of some 26 years. He went to South Africa with the 1st Batt South Staffordshire Regiment in the Second Anglo Boer War and in WW1 found himself in Gallipoli and involved in the major battles there being wounded during the evacuation. He served with the Royal Flying Corps/RAF late in 1918 as a "Disciplinarian" in charge of new recruits and also prisoners of war. After WW1 he returned home and was Tewkesbury Town Crier and a Sergeant of the Mace. Sadly all these years on if yo go to Tewkesbury municipal cemetery it would seem that Albert has no grave as no headstone is there just a plot covered with grass now. Wendy Snarey very kindly went to the cemetery to take the photograph of where this brave old boy lies a yellow flower marks the location. Would be nice to have a cross bearing his name etc made and placed there and this will be the next step to see if we can achieve this for him as everything he went through and all he did for his country he deserves to be remembered. Hope you all like the pics and its hard to believe I now own the actual medals Albert is wearing in this photo of him.Attachment 928541Attachment 928542

Very moving thread but all came good in the end. Shame his grave is in such a state but I suppose if no relatives are alive or don't even know his resting place this is what happens. You must be chuffed to bits now having a complete story behind his medal group. Well done to all involved.

Its been an amazing story of discovery Steve though its sad his grave is literally non existent but without relatives or descendants who are aware of what Albert did for his country this is to be expected. I would like to express thanks to Wendy Snarey for the photo of Albert and his grave as she has been an amazing help. All those who have contributed here have helped to preserve the memory of Albert Curtis. Now if anyone is trying to find information on him they will hopefully see what is posted here so in a sense we have resurrected his memory. One wonders what he would have made of the world today and the medals that he cherished now being with us. Regards Tim Heath.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3