Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with uniform

Article about: I apologize if I did this wrong I however need help. does anyone recognize this uniform? this is a picture of my great grandfather taken sometime in the 1920-1930's I am tracing my family tr

alwysalady2u
    ?

Default Help with uniform

I apologize if I did this wrong I however need help.
    does anyone recognize this uniform? this is a picture of my great grandfather taken sometime in the 1920-1930's
    I am tracing my family tree and this pic was given to me by my aunt who is 80 it is her grandfather all we know is that he sailed with the american merchant in the 1930's. thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with uniform  

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Trying to determine rank

Thats a 1912 wool American uniform i think

alwysalady2u
    ?

Default Re: Trying to determine rank

Thank you. is it a military uniform?

Default Re: Help with uniform

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Your relative actually wears the uniform of the Canadian Army of the First World War. Note the Maple Leaf on the cap badge and collar dogs. The shoulder titles will give his Regt, but I cannot make these out from the pic?

He wears the 1908 pattern webbing belt as issued to all British & Commonwealth Forces.

Cheers, Ade.

I saw you had named the photo. So I did a search in the Canadian archives and I have come up with two men of this name:

Results - Soldiers of the First World War - CEF - Library and Archives Canada

As you will see, one has an midddle initial while the other does not. You can download these forms for free.

I suspect your relative is the soldier named William Phelps. He was actually American by birth.

Cheers, Ade.

alwysalady2u
    ?

I have to say we really thought that was a dead end. My grandmother was raised in an orphanage when her mom died at a young age so all was lost of william phelps. Thank you so very much!!!!!!!!!! I dont even know what to say other than I really do appreciate your help

alwysalady2u
    ?

What a challange it has been with William Phelps. He left his wife and daughter and went to canada and enlisted. My aunt found amongs my grandmother's paperwork a pension sent upon the death of Webester Phelps. Guess he changed to his middle name to enlist. I did find him and I do appreciate your help Adrian. Thank you.

My pleasure. I am really pleased you have discovered about him.

Cheers, Ade.