Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with WW1 Military Medal

Article about: Can anyone tell me what the letter 'G' before the soldiers number stand for

?

Default Help with WW1 Military Medal

Can anyone tell me what the letter 'G' before the soldiers number stand for
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Found this:

"Many army numbers carried letter prefixes, a lot of these being introduced during the First World War. Some prefixes, like the letter G, used to prefix the numbers of men in various Home Counties battalions who enlisted during 1914-1918 for General Service, were very common; others less so. Prefixes were normally expressed on army paperwork as G/1234 or G1234 and may be represented on medals as G-1234. A word of warning however: the use of prefixes was often inconsistent."

Army Service Numbers 1881-1918: Number Prefixes

I haven't had time [real work to do !] to do a full check but did find this - could be your man ?

CWGC - Casualty Details

?

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Found this:

"Many army numbers carried letter prefixes, a lot of these being introduced during the First World War. Some prefixes, like the letter G, used to prefix the numbers of men in various Home Counties battalions who enlisted during 1914-1918 for General Service, were very common; others less so. Prefixes were normally expressed on army paperwork as G/1234 or G1234 and may be represented on medals as G-1234. A word of warning however: the use of prefixes was often inconsistent."

Army Service Numbers 1881-1918: Number Prefixes

I haven't had time [real work to do !] to do a full check but did find this - could be your man ?

CWGC - Casualty Details

Thanks Ritchie for the help & yes that is my man , i already knew that but just wanted too know what the 'G' represented , thanks anyway & here is the group , i know the star should be after the MM but not my photo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	646.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	604639  

Glad to be of assistance - very nice grouping.

?

Glad to be of assistance - very nice grouping.
    Thanks , shame someone over the years has polished them too death as a lot of the details on the medals have been worn off

Quote by HD1450 View Post
    Thanks , shame someone over the years has polished them too death as a lot of the details on the medals have been worn off
    Indeed - but still good to have a complete grouping.

Have you seen his service record on Ancestry ?

?

Have you seen his service record on Ancestry ?
    No i haven't , i am not registered with it , but i was given a photo of his MIC with the date of his death possibly mixed up with his entry into the war ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BritishArmyWWIMedalRollsIndexCards1914-1920ForJonesBernard.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	604696  

?

Can anyone get a copy of his service records from Ancestry ?

Yes, I can, but don't have time to download it now. I've just had a quick flick through it, I'm afraid it's not a very detailed one (and it's a burned one too), but:
    Wounded 20th March 1916, seriously wounded 1st April 1917 and wounded again on 29th August 1917, by the look of things!

Cheers, Tom

?

Quote by thorne83 View Post
    Yes, I can, but don't have time to download it now. I've just had a quick flick through it, I'm afraid it's not a very detailed one (and it's a burned one too), but:
    Wounded 20th March 1916, seriously wounded 1st April 1917 and wounded again on 29th August 1917, by the look of things!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom , pm sent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast