MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

heres some photos, a poem, and some ID tags

Article about: campell is my wifes maiden name. cos anyone else help me understand the rest on these ID tags thanks alot guys

Default heres some photos, a poem, and some ID tags

campell is my wifes maiden name. cos anyone else help me understand the rest on these ID tags

thanks alot guys

Default Re: heres some photos, a poem, and some ID tags

The pair of tags are for a member of the Northumberland Fusiliers. Possibly someone who was in one of the Tyneside Scottish battalions, as in the badge i identified for you on the other thread. The Scottish-dressed soldier in the first photo seems to be Tyneside Scots. He also seems to have been in the 4th Bn of the Northumberland Fus too. It could be a transfer, or possibly more than one person?

A CAMPBELL
    CE (Church of England)
    200344 (his army number)
    ??????????
    4 N.F. (4th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers)

Rob

I think we should try to split the pix up into different groups. I can see:

A) Pre-WW1 Territorial Soldier (4th Bn, Northumberland Fus)

heres some photos, a poem, and some ID tagsheres some photos, a poem, and some ID tags

These all look like pictures from their Annual Camp to me.

This is a studio portrait with swagger stick This is probably the man from the dog tag pair, but is he also the Tyneside Scotsman too?

B) Soldier from one of the Tyneside Scottish Bns, WW1

heres some photos, a poem, and some ID tagsheres some photos, a poem, and some ID tags

The shoulder title is a three piece effort :

TYNESIDE (curved)
    a number 1, 2, 3 or 4
    SCOTTISH

Can you tell which number? This is probably a picture of the badge you have.

C) Soldier from East Surrey Regiment WW1

D) Royal Navy Seaman

E) Royal Air Force probably 1930-40s

F) Army 1930s (possibly Territorials)

This could be your Royal Berkshire Regt but I can't see the badge well enough...

G) WW1 period, not sure of identification yet:

This gives a framework for further research at least. Some of the men in the photos look very similar, so they are probably family.

Rob

wow nice man! ive just taken some more pics of the tyneside scottish badge. also ive got some writing on the back of the photo of the guy from tyneside scottish bns (the one where hes on his own) ill upload the other pics with writing on too

the picture of the sailor:

the picture of the lads cooking in the field:

guy with the swagger skick

the holding the stick in 2 hands outside a tent

Cpl. S. E. HUNTLEA'S Squad

Soldier from East Surrey Regiment WW1

RAF guy

Excellent, this might help straighten this out a bit more. OK so what we have is:

Tyneside Scot is John. It says "My Pals photo" 22nd May 1917. The reference to Pals might be a reference to his unit. Many of the WW1-raised infantry units were called 'Pals Battalions', for example, the Bradford Pals, Salford Pals, Grimsby Chums, Leeds Pals etc. I have never heard of a 'Tyneside Pals' as such but it probably means this. A motto used for recruiting the Tyneside Scottish was "Harder Than Hammers" I am 95% sure the Tyneside Scottish badge is real. It seems to have been converted into a brooch which is not unusual. This was done to convert them into sweetheart gifts during the war, and also post-war to make them into souvenirs or a badge that could be worn to reunions and the like.

Mr Swagger Stick is also John

Two of the Annual Camp photos are Ralph (one says Ralph, the other R.S.), so possibly another man.

The RN rating is Frank

East Surrey is Harry. He is the nephew of Nellie and Reuben, and i also notice that Miss Fisher is also called Nell, and they all seem to be writing to her. The link between all these soldiers seems to be Nellie Fisher, whoever she was. Perhaps the others, except Harry, are all boyfriends of hers? Perhaps the woman with the Tyneside Scot is Nellie, and this is the triumphant photo where John finally persuaded her to dump Ralph There could be more than one Nellie too, mother and daughter perhaps?).

Mr Squad is Harry also I think, although it doesn't look like the same handwriting.

I think you are going to need to create your wife's family tree to fit these people in. I would recommend ancestry.ca (or the UK version co.uk? - they are all linked anyway).

None of these guys, however, seem to be A Campbell!

Rob

emeila fanny fisher is the womans name. she is my wifes grandma. she was known as milly to family, its possible she had a few shortened names. she was also later married to alexander campell! who the ID tags belong to.

my wife is only just connecting the dots for me abit, after a little pestering. as she doesnt really care

Here is the medal index card fore Alexander Campell. The numbers would indicate he was a Terrier from beginning to end in Both Regiments.

The Service numbers reflect a post jan 1917 whennthe Territorial Force got new specific series of numbers to bring them inline with the rest of numbers with in a Regiment.

What does the crossed out number on the double set look like? This would have been his TF number before 1917.

Not sure why the transfer so could be good for some research--

Due to him being a Terrier very unlikly he was a Tynsider.

My guess is he was 4Th Bn NF until 1918 when the 1/4 was reduced toi carde and finally disbanded--He was then transfered to Berks.

Joe Sweeney
    Last edited by Joe Sweeney; 04-17-2012 at 12:36 AM.

got some more stuff

Yes the Tyneside Scottish were a pals battalion. The badge is the 4th pattern and is 100% spot on. It has a gate type broached pin fastening that is correct. Too many restrike sellers on ebay saying differently these days <caveat emptor> . I too have the same correct broached 4th pattern badge - it's not seen too often these days. Mines on here...
    Tyneside Scottish page 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast