Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

How do you feel about this one ?

Article about: Is this Glengarry cap ww2 ? i found that on a site and really like it but not sure about the period Thanks

Default How do you feel about this one ?

Is this Glengarry cap ww2 ? i found that on a site and really like it but not sure about the period
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images How do you feel about this one ?  How do you feel about this one ?  How do you feel about this one ?  How do you feel about this one ?  How do you feel about this one ? 

Default Re: How do you feel about this one ?

These are very hard to date. But it appears to have some age to it. The badge is a WW2 pattern badge, but a view of the back would be needed to make sure it is original. But the wire holding it in place is wrong.

Cheers, Ade.

So Ade what you are telling me is the cap could be ww2 but the insigna could or is a fake due to the back pin
    In the case of the cap being ww2 era how much this could go on the market today if you have an idea ?
    Thanks

Frenchy

Hi Frenchy, the problem is, the basic design of these caps has not changed for many years. So they are very hard to date. It could be WW1 or WW2.

My experience with Scottish Regimental items is limited, as I don't collect them.

The pin is certainly not correct. British cap badges are a real minefield. Most have been copied from original dies, so seeing the back is vital.

The price I can only really guess at, which is not fair, but I would say about £35 to £45? But it is a guess only.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade at least it give me a starting place and i really appreciated the time you took to answer this. Your expertise even on items that you do not collect are precious Thanks again !
    Frenchy

OKW
    ?

The back pin isn't correct issue for the badge but could have been made that way to enable the badge to have been removed easily for polishing. This would have been a fairly frequent activity and you would want to run the risk of brasso coming into contact with the hat its self, its a devil to remove and if you couldn't then being charged with being dirty on parade would be a real threat. As for the cap itself i think you'd need to study period photos to see if it takes in a 'fashion' change. This style of cap certainly pre dates the Boer war and i believe was still being worn in N.Ireland 60- 70 years on.