Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Hugh E Mitchell: update on research!

Article about: Hello forum! hope your all doing well. i know i have previously posted this medal, but i have to give special thanks to fern Baldwin of cultmancollectables for providing me with an abundant

Default Hugh E Mitchell: update on research!

Hello forum! hope your all doing well. i know i have previously posted this medal, but i have to give special thanks to fern Baldwin of cultmancollectables for providing me with an abundant amount of research and back story on this chap.

Born in Millwall on 14th April 1878 to parents John Charles and Lucy Mitchell (nee Jones). Hugh Edwin Mitchell was the younger of two twins. His twin sister Miriam (also known as Maria) Emily Mitchell was born just before midnight on the 13th April. Hugh followed at 12.20am and as such was born on a different day to his twin.

The twins were baptised on 30th June 1878. The baptism record shows they lived on West End Road, Millwall.

Hugh was married in 1899 to a Charlotte Amelia Evans. they moved to Middlesex where Hugh became a butcher. By 1901 the national census shows they had one child, Hugh H. Mitchell who was 11 months old. By the next census in 1911 they had four children. Hugh H (11), Leonard E (9), Harry W. (8), and Gladys (2 1/2). Mitchell has gained the rank of journeyman butcher and Charlotte was working as a charwoman (a type of cleaner/ domestic helper).

Hugh enlisted into the army at Ponders in Middlesex. He joined the 3rd Battalion Duke of Cambridge's Own Middlesex Regiment. He was killed in action 15th April 1915 (the day after his 37 birthday and a month after he was entitled to the 1914-15 Star) in Ypres, France & Flanders.

Hugh E Mitchell: update on research!Hugh E Mitchell: update on research!Hugh E Mitchell: update on research!Hugh E Mitchell: update on research!Hugh E Mitchell: update on research!Hugh E Mitchell: update on research!

Default Re: Hugh E Mitchell: update on research!

another sad story.

Default Re: Hugh E Mitchell: update on research!

I'm sure he made both of his Queens proud.