Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

To identify possible ww1 field service cap

Article about: I've researched British, Canadian and Ausie caps for ww2 and later and can't find a match. Ive got a gut feeling this cap is ww1 or ealier. During my research I noted that there were some te

Default To identify possible ww1 field service cap

To identify possible ww1 field service cap

I've researched British, Canadian and Ausie caps for ww2 and later and can't find a match. Ive got a gut feeling this cap is ww1 or ealier. During my research I noted that there were some teritorial units wearing khaki F/S caps with a coloured panel. Can anyone tell me what regiment or corps this cap belonged to please?

Default Re: To identify possible ww1 field service cap

Looks WWI British to me. What are the buttons and are there any markings inside? Its a WWI English style that was copied by the Americans. When you say "colored panel" are you refering to a white band around the bottom of the cap? If so, that would be RFC/RAF aviation cadet.

Sorry for the delay in my reply. The cap in question has no buttons and only the ghost of a badge. Its silk lined, typical officer, fine quality kd material. The coloured panel in question is the crown of the cap which is royal blue. The material of this pannel is fine wool. Ive researched as much as I can and I'm tending to think this is a victorian era cap. Any info would be greatly appreciated. There is nothing worse than not knowing the origins of an item!

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    Looks WWI British to me. What are the buttons and are there any markings inside? Its a WWI English style that was copied by the Americans. When you say "colored panel" are you refering to a white band around the bottom of the cap? If so, that would be RFC/RAF aviation cadet.
    Here is an RFC cap from my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture To identify possible ww1 field service cap  

The cap heldunkle posted looks identical to the one posted just a few moments ago, minus the buttons. I would say that it is British then..

Regards,
    Finn

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    Here is an RFC cap from my collection.
    And here is another side cap of the same pattern but this one was worn by an American aviator. We (the Americans) adopted this style of cap from the Brits. It was considered more jaunty than the standard side cap issued by the US government which was patterned more closely to the French style. Buy your self some buttons and a cap device and you've got a nice WWI Brit side-cap.
    An American Volunteer with the Royal Flying Corp - U.S. Militaria Forum

WWI 99th Aero Squadron Uniform Group - U.S. Militaria Forum

The Uniform Group of an American volunteer with the RFC
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture To identify possible ww1 field service cap  

Thanks for the info and pics Croix. The ghost of the badge on my cap does match an rfc cap badge perfectly, so the cap may well be an rfc cap. I'm still puzzled over the royal blue crown of the cap though. Never seen an rfc cap like mine....or any cap like mine for that matter.