Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Interesting 1914-18 war medal

Article about: Here's a rather interesting medal which was given to me by a family friend who lives in Eccles, Manchester. The medal is to Pte James Taylor of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. Apologies

Hi Jerry, thanks for that. I wonder what happened to 1084, Pte Robert Taylor a few entries further down?
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The qualifying criteria was as I posted above with no limit of minimum number of days as used on WWII campaign medals, no 21 date limit or similar.
    That's correct, there was no time limit. Anyone serving under the command of Sir John French, including civilians, were entitled to the 1914 Star. As he was killed in September 1914 he's obviously also entitled to the clasp.

He may have a second MIC on which the missing 14 Star and clasp are noted, failing that it'll just be an error of behalf of the clerk who completed his index card.

@ Glenn, you don't have to go to Canberra to see service records, they're all online. Is it still up in Rocky or do you have it in storage? It's worth digging it out on the next opportunity.

Tony
    Last edited by ynot; 01-21-2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Forgot something

?

I've just gone back and looked at the first post again. The pictured MIC shows the issue of the clasp and clasp roll reference number, I'd say the Star isn't noted on there because of a clerical error.

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    I've just gone back and looked at the first post again. The MIC for the 14 Star and clasp is pictured, or am I confusing things?

Tony
    i only looked at the entries in the box for which none is shown for the star but as you point out Tony, he has the annotation for the clasp which I did not look at, only the lack of star listing.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by ynot View Post
    @ Glenn, you don't have to go to Canberra to see service records, they're all online. Is it still up in Rocky or do you have it in storage? It's worth digging it out on the next opportunity.

Tony
    Hi Tony, it's in storage in Brisbane these days. I'm visiting home in late March so hopefully I remember to dig it out. No-one knows how it came to be buried in the garden of a rural residence in central Queensland. I figured perhaps a gentleman caller on one of my Great Aunts?

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    . The military are very rigid in their application of the rules. There is no-one as tight as the British when it comes to dishing out medals!
    Spot on Steve , there are none more bureaucratic that the pen pushing shiny arses who make the decisions re awarding / allocations of medals !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12