Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting Bugle find on ebay

Article about: I was looking for a military bugle to complement my small collection of WW1 artifacts, but all I seemed to find on ebay were these modern copies with military cap-badges attached. I lost cou

Default Interesting Bugle find on ebay

I was looking for a military bugle to complement my small collection of WW1 artifacts, but all I seemed to find on ebay were these modern copies with military cap-badges attached. I lost count of the number of 'rare' 23Regt Royal Welsh Fusilier bugles I found. I tried searching under military bugle, infantry bugle, army bugle and even regimental bugle. But all that were advertised had no WD stamp or makers name. I saw one that was attributed to a certain regiment from WW1 - and even a persons name. But when I enquired about it and asked for proof of the connection between the soldier's name and regiment, it was mysteriously withdrawn from sale.

I even put 'military bugle' into my search engine, and that lead me to a very informative Canadian museum website which gave an insight to the tricks being perpatrated by some unscrupulous seller's on ebay. There was also an article on what to look for with the markings on bugles. Basically, it stated that if there is no WD & crow's foot stamp it isn't military issue.

In one last attempt to find a half-decent bugle I went back on ebay and looked under 'antique bugle' for a change. There was one rather battered example for sale.And the description just said... Antique bugle, Henry Potter 1894. See pictures for details. I was going to give it a miss, as the pictures were very dark. But in the end I got the pictures up and enlarged them to get a better look.

The address was; Henry Potter - 30 Charing Cross - London - 1894. Above this was stamped WD with broad arrow and the number 52. In the next picture there was another inscription that was just visible. It reads; A COMPANY - 1st V/B The Buffs - Ramsgate. Just above the WD stamp can be seen the very feint remains of the regimental badge. The bugle cost me £50, and I consider it to be an absolute bargain for what is without doubt a genuine Boer War bugle.

Interesting Bugle find on ebayInteresting Bugle find on ebayInteresting Bugle find on ebayInteresting Bugle find on ebay
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 08-16-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Default Re: Interesting Bugle find on ebay

Very good to see this, nicely marked and Boer war period is cool. I admire your persistence in tracking it down.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

nice find, great history

That is very nice mate, it will display extremely well. Great to see persistence paying off, sounds as though the seller didn't realise what a terrific item he had. Good to see it going to someone who will look after it.

A lovely example

The website is correct of course, and the vast majority of bugles were marked with only the broad arrow, manufacturer's logo and date. Luckily, most of the replicas (usually adorned with badge) are not of the quality needed for an actual playable instrument (I played cornet in a brass band for many years when I was younger).

The unit is 1st Volunteer Battalion, The Buffs, which became 4th Battalion on the formation of the Territorial Force. During WW1 (as 1/4th Bn) they served mostly in India with the 44th Division, onlt seeing action for a brief period in Aden. My references confirm that A Coy was definitely based in Ramsgate (all the part-time Volunteer Force units had their companies split in different towns, usually meeting once a week for drill). 1st VB Buffs didn't send any men to the South African War (many of the Volunteer Bns did) so it didn't see actual Boer War service

It is very likely that 1/4th Bn would have kept the instruments from it's earlier Volunteer Force incarnation, and there's no reason to believe the bugle didn't see service with them through WW1 and beyond.

Rob

I noticed a post about this maker on another forum and they were well known for making drums and wind instruments.
    Regards,

Jerry

I got some rather interesting information from Canada about the 1st Volunteer Battalion. It appears that volunteers from 1st and 2nd V/B did indeed go to South Africa with the regular forces during the period of the 2nd Boer War. The National Army Museum in London say's they didn't. The Cantebury war memorial say's otherwise!

As for the bugle being used in the Great War, I didn't even think about that! I can't recall the last time I came across a genuine unit-marked bugle either. As previously stated, most on ebay are indeed cheap copies. The seller of this one made no reference to it being military, and it wasn't advertised as one either. It was being sold as an 'antique Henry Potter bugle from 1894.'

Am I the only one that reads; Harry Potter??

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    Am I the only one that reads; Harry Potter??
    That was my first reading, but of course that name is rather famous and he never made musical instruments to my knowledge.

Below is another image of the same maker's mark, copied from the net.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Bugle find on ebay  
    Regards,

Jerry

A superb find and fascinating piece of History. Great pick up!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast