Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

King's liverpool 17/20 batt pals cap badge hm silver

Article about: Hi guys just wanted to post a find i had at a car boot sale in Liverpool, it is a 1914 "Liverpool Pals" cap badge, i bought a box of mixed cap badges for £4.50, in total there was

bigwiggy
    ?

Default King's liverpool 17/20 batt pals cap badge hm silver

Hi guys just wanted to post a find i had at a car boot sale in Liverpool, it is a 1914 "Liverpool Pals" cap badge, i bought a box of mixed cap badges for £4.50, in total there was 14 badges and this little gem. Cap badges are new to me and i have only been collecting since i was left some by my grandad and feel i just want to carry on were he left off. It is fully hallmarked silver with the Chester hallmark and the Elkington & Co Ltd makers mark. Only thing that is different is that it has had the pin replaced and repositioned in the past.

I know some of the history of this cap badge and that it was issued by the Earl of Derby in 1914. i found this brief write up on the net:

Lord Kitchener was the Secretary of State for War in August 1914. He had made an appeal on the 7th of August for 100,000 volunteers for the Regular Army. As a result, Lord Derby, also known as the King of Lancashire answered the call and raised several Volunteer Battalions in 1914 to include the 17th-20th Battalions of the King's (LIVERPOOL) Regiment. These battalions were known as the Liverpool "PALS". The cap badge that they wore was that of Lord Derby's own crest, motto "SANS CHANGER" (CONSTANT). All the volunteers who joined prior to October 16th, 1914 received a sterling silver cap badge as a personal gift from Derby himself. After that date the badges were made of brass for the O.R's.

Sorry for the essay and the crux of what i am trying to find out is:

The value of the item as i am led to believe it is quite rare.

Is this one rarer as it is hallmarked in Chester as all others i have seen are hallmarked in London.

And any further information about the item.

Thanks guys and sorry about the massive write up, i really appreciate any help given. Also my apoligies for the picture quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images King's liverpool 17/20 batt pals cap badge hm silver  King's liverpool 17/20 batt pals cap badge hm silver  King's liverpool 17/20 batt pals cap badge hm silver 

Default Re: King's liverpool 17/20 batt pals cap badge hm silver

Hi, you have made a very nice find!

I cannot advise on current value.

But the badge has been fitted with a broach pin in order to convert the badge in a "sweetheart" item so it could be worn by a wife or girlfriend. This will efect the value a little.

Cheers, Ade.

bigwiggy
    ?

Thanks Phil and Adrian, yeah Phil dont know much about the pals but am going to spend some time looking them up as they sound like some of are unsung heroes and have me intrested.

Thanks for the info on being a "sweetheart" conversion Adrian, initially when looking at it i thought it must have been broken and replaced with this one, in hindsight and looking at the work done it has been done to a good standard and not a botch job, more delibirate so the "sweetheart" adaption definately fits.

Thanx again guys for your help and advice

rumjar
    ?

hi mate,
    a silver pals badge has just sold for £300 so you are pounds in.

joe,liverpool.

TRT
    ?

Hello all,

My first post!!

I am a general collecter of WW1 militaria ( uniforms, badges, equipment and ephemera). I am a regular poster on the Great war Forum ( under a slightly different nom de plume). I have a good collection of Pals badges and shoulder titles and have 20 plus years of collecting experience behind me.

Yes you have bought well. Most Liverpool Pals silver badges were broached for sweethearts. Given to the first recruits only they were treasured items and probably never worn on service dress outside UK or even in training. £300 is steep usually £175 - £200 but still a snip for you. They do regularly turn up on dealer lists and Bosleys usually have then too.

Kind regards all and I lok forward to posting on what seems an excellant forum.

Regards

TRT

King's liverpool 17/20 batt pals cap badge hm silverKing's liverpool 17/20 batt pals cap badge hm silver

I have come across two badges or clasps (see attached) in my father's WW2 memorabilia that I cannot identify despite various searches on the internet.

The brass badge cap badge seems to be a version of those worn by the King's Liverpool battalion to which my father's 511th Field Park Company was attached, based at Aigburth, Liverpool at the outbreak of war. However, my father's badge is made from brass with the "SANS CHANGER" insignia in red enamel and he served in WW2 whereas the one shown on the IWM site is for WW1.

This may be what is called a "sweetheart" brooch. Could anyone tell me whether it will have been converted or was issued as it is. And, when would it have been issued, please?

The second silver circle with oak leaves is a much bigger mystery. I can find no information on the internet and have no idea what it is. Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

John

?

The above badge is a post october 16th 1914 brass cap badge. With added red enamel.

?

I have all 3 versions , all with original lugs , 2 x silver 1 London , 1 Chester and 1 unmarked brass.

Many thanks. So, WW1, not WW2, and therefore not my father's. Since I do not have a direct relative who served in WW1, I wonder might the brass cap badge have been worn by to a cousin who signed up with the RFA Territorial Force, 13th Battery, 3rd West Lancs, served in WW1 as a bombadier, and was killed at the Somme in 1916. Any thoughts, please?

Quote by johneowens View Post
    Many thanks. So, WW1, not WW2, and therefore not my father's. Since I do not have a direct relative who served in WW1, I wonder might the brass cap badge have been worn by to a cousin who signed up with the RFA Territorial Force, 13th Battery, 3rd West Lancs, served in WW1 as a bombadier, and was killed at the Somme in 1916. Any thoughts, please?
    If he was in the RFA he would have worn a Gunner's badge and not an infantry badge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast