Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Last Soldier to Perish in the Great War

Article about: Henry Nicholas Gunther was reportedly the last soldier of the contending nation to have been killed-in-action during the First World War. Henry died instantly from a bullet to the head at 10

Ah! That makes sense too! But, if it is a rifle, then it looks like a small block may simply have come loose from it and fell out. (Hopefully, not beaning a hapless visitor come to pay respects) The design looks to have been assembled from many blocks and parts. I have to admit, it would be a hellaciously tough place to commit vandalism on, seeing as it's so high up with no access.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Will do! I'll have my camera for certain so any pics I can get of grave and/or house I will post.
    Please do!

jwp
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Ah! That makes sense too! But, if it is a rifle, then it looks like a small block may simply have come loose from it and fell out. (Hopefully, not beaning a hapless visitor come to pay respects) The design looks to have been assembled from many blocks and parts. I have to admit, it would be a hellaciously tough place to commit vandalism on, seeing as it's so high up with no access.
    If you check out my old postcard in post 47 I don't think there was ever a block there !,
    cheers,John.

ps: actually I think there is a block with a piece cut out at an angle.
    Last edited by jwp; 01-24-2014 at 01:06 AM.

JWP,

Thanks for providing the definitive answer to my question. Thanks too to others who have contributed to this here-to-fore mystery portion of the thread.

I suppose it is just about the time for me to listen up that I might hear the command, "Rest On Arms!" ~~30~~

?

I also love the Vimy Memorial, the first time I saw it I was a couple of miles away going to it. It was morning and the sun Lit up that Great White Memorial surrounded by the green of the hill... near brought tears to my eyes.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

jwp
    ?

Quote by CampX View Post
    I also love the Vimy Memorial, the first time I saw it I was a couple of miles away going to it. It was morning and the sun Lit up that Great White Memorial surrounded by the green of the hill... near brought tears to my eyes.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada
    Dean, another of my favourite memorials too, in the 1970's an old lady who lived near me told me the story of her husband who had emigrated to Canada from my village here in the uk, and sadly lost his life during ww1, she gave me a collar badge (dated 1915) and a Canadian general service cap badge which had belonged to him, I still have these and treasure them, his name is on the vimy memorial and I always seek it out and pay my respects on my visits, have attached a pic and a memorial service from our local church,
    all the best,
    John.Last Soldier to Perish in the Great WarLast Soldier to Perish in the Great War

PS: just to add the chap I was refering to was Robert Corless. just realised another Canadian was on the memorial service sheet, Charles hopwood lost his life at hill 60 and is remembered on the menin gate memorial.

edit : afraid I was having a senior moment in this post ! Robert corless is actually buried in WARLOY-BAILLON COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, the local man on vimy memorial I was thinking of was harry ellis of the 75th battalion, was way past my bedtime to be posting !Last Soldier to Perish in the Great War
    Last edited by jwp; 01-25-2014 at 07:52 AM.

?

What a Great and Sad Story, I am Happy that someone has them that will Honour them!!!!

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Quote by jwp View Post
    As far as I know its supposed to represent a Canadian soldier resting his hands on a reversed rifle, like the real soldier on my old postcard.
    It is indeed a rifle. The soldier is resting his hands
    on the butt end.........
    Regards,

Steve.

So...the "missing block" was actually made that way intentionally to suggest the stock of a rifle? That solves that mystery!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6