Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Last Soldier to Perish in the Great War

Article about: Henry Nicholas Gunther was reportedly the last soldier of the contending nation to have been killed-in-action during the First World War. Henry died instantly from a bullet to the head at 10

Default Last Soldier to Perish in the Great War

Henry Nicholas Gunther was reportedly the last soldier of the contending nation to have been killed-in-action during the First World War. Henry died instantly from a bullet to the head at 10:59 am on November 11th, 1918 while charging a machine gun position.

Ironically of German descent - Henry Nicholas John Gunther was dead. It was 10.59 am. Henry is now recognized as the last soldier to be killed in action in World War I.

Gunther was buried where he fell in the village of Chaumont-devant-Damvillers, in the Argonne region of France, but was later removed to his hometown of Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A. in 1923.

Which cemetery? Being that close I wouldn't mind a visit there.

A most beautiful resting place it is helmetone - Most Holy Redeemer Cemetery, corner of Belair and Moravia roads, in Baltimore. Henry's house was (and still is) at 3011 Eastern avenue, directly across the street from Patterson Park.

This park, now pristine with grassy slopes and giggling children, ironically served as another no-man's-land in America's Second War for Independence during September of 1814.

No $hit! That's where my mothers parents and grandparents are buried. She grew up off Belair Road. I will most definitely have to find his grave.

Giggling children in Patterson Park? You mean giggling hookers? lol

Sheer madness, ordering men to charge enemy trenches when everybody knew the war would be ending in a few minutes!..

If I recall it right, 9000 American soldiers died that last day....in trying to gain terrain...
    I hope you get to find him , Todd!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Thanks Kris. Shouldn't be much trouble. I'm due a visit there for the upcoming holidays, lay some flowers and let my grandparents and great grandparents spend some time with the granddaughter they never got to meet. Might even go search for his house.

Keep us informed!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Will do! I'll have my camera for certain so any pics I can get of grave and/or house I will post.

Not to trivialise the man's sacrifice here at all, but I'd be damned if I'd go charging an MG position at 10:59 on that day..... Surely his officers knew the plans at that late hour. Madness....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast