Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Leather belt and buttons

Article about: I came across this belt on Earlestown market this morning. I dislike the tendency to call these 'hate' belts, because at the time they were merely belts adorned with souvenirs removed from e

Default Leather belt and buttons

I came across this belt on Earlestown market this morning. I dislike the tendency to call these 'hate' belts, because at the time they were merely belts adorned with souvenirs removed from enemy uniforms and scrounged off allies. I reckon the Manchester regiment badge is a recently added repro, but the rest are totally original. Click on images to enlarge.

Leather belt and buttonsLeather belt and buttonsLeather belt and buttonsLeather belt and buttonsLeather belt and buttonsLeather belt and buttonsLeather belt and buttonsLeather belt and buttonsLeather belt and buttons

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I dislike the tendency to call these 'hate' belts, because at the time they were merely belts adorned with souvenirs removed from enemy uniforms and scrounged off allies.
    Thank you for showing this interesting item. I don't like the 'hate belt' term either - I wonder if it was used at the time or only later by collectors?

Can you say anything about the belt? The fastening seems reminiscent of a stable belt.

Regards, Philip

Hi Philip,

That was my first thought - perhaps some kind of stable belt? I can't say that I have ever seen one of these before, but at £30 it was worth buying - and I'm quite sure it is WW1 period. The buttons have certainly been on there a very long time.

Cheers,
    Steve.

CBH
    ?

I believe the Canada button is WWII . Also what is a stable belt ? I have a similar belt .

Quote by CBH View Post
    I believe the Canada button is WWII . Also what is a stable belt ? I have a similar belt .
    A stable belt would originally have been worn by a cavalryman when working in and around stables - hence the name. But gradually their use spread to all units of the army. The belt was made of woven fabric and was usually in the colours of the regiment. I have attached a photo of a belt in the colours of the Royal Artillery.

With reference to the Canadian button which you think might be WW11, I have searched around on websites, and it appears to be of a design used in both WW1 and WW11. Given that the rest of the buttons are WW1, I think it is probably safe to assume that the Canadian button is also WW1.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Leather belt and buttons

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    Also what is a stable belt ? I have a similar belt .
    Stable belts are commonly worn by the British forces (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stable_belt)

However, although the fastening is similar, the belt shown above seems to be a money belt. The picture below comes from a 1915 Illustrated Price List of Military Accoutrements of War Office contractor D.Power & Sons and shows a similar belt in the bottom right hand corner. Credit for the picture is owed to 'GT' who posted it originally on Hate or Companion Belt - Uniforms & Cap Badges - Great War Forum The link is to an interesting thread discussing similar belts.

Leather belt and buttons

Thanks for that piece of information Philip.

Steve,

I prefer the term trophy belt, I think hate belt is a post WW1 or WW2 term that has been taken into the collector lexicon. One of mine is shown here.

WW1 Trophy Belt - British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

regards

Mark

Unfortunately, one must be a registered member to view the photos,Mark
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."