Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Lebel Bayonet

Article about: I recently picked up a WW1 French Lebel bayonet. Blade is a mess, does anyone know how to disassemble the bayonet to remove the handle?

Default Lebel Bayonet

I recently picked up a WW1 French Lebel bayonet. Blade is a mess, does anyone know how to disassemble the bayonet to remove the handle?

?

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    I recently picked up a WW1 French Lebel bayonet. Blade is a mess, does anyone know how to disassemble the bayonet to remove the handle?
    It depends on which model you have. If the end cap on the handle has two small square holes, you may be able to pop the cap out of the center to access the tang nut. If there are no holes, you have no chance. Even with the holes you are talking about something that has been together for 100 years or more, getting it apart will not be easy and could do more harm than good.

I would be interested in seeing some pictures. I may be able to help without removing the handle.

Jim

Jim,
    Thanks, this has the two small holes. I soaked it in WD-40 for a couple hours and used a small pair of needle nose pliers that fit perfect and presto it begin to turn. After figuring out that I needed to remove the screw on the side of the handle it came right off. Appreciate the tip.
    Terry