Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Registered Letter to Soldier in 2nd Army Headquarters

Article about: Hi All I picked up this envelope for a registered letter to a 383901 Pte John R Brannen of 926 Garrison Guard, Lewis Gun Detachemtn, 2nd Army Headquarters, BEF France this morning for £1. I

Default Registered Letter to Soldier in 2nd Army Headquarters

Hi All

I picked up this envelope for a registered letter to a 383901 Pte John R Brannen of 926 Garrison Guard, Lewis Gun Detachemtn, 2nd Army Headquarters, BEF France this morning for £1. I am really struggling to find much information out about the man or his particular unit online. Can any one offer up any further information?
    Registered Letter to Soldier in 2nd Army HeadquartersRegistered Letter to Soldier in 2nd Army Headquarters
    I know 2nd Army was moved back from Italy to France in March 1918 which would correspond with the postmark of 22nd April 1918. I am guessing the original contents of the letter must have been pretty important to warrant a registered letter, but sadly the envelope was empty. The return address on the rear is hard to make out, but seems to be for Moldgreen in Huddersfield:
    Registered Letter to Soldier in 2nd Army Headquarters
    As the letter came form the Huddersfield second hand market it must have made its way back home after the war!

Many Thanks

Ed

?

John Richard Brannan served in the Labour Corps (926 Garrison Guard) with the service number 383901, the West Riding Regt. as 29417 and the R. Fus. as GS/111693. He was only entitled to the BW and Vic. medals so didn’t reach a theatre of war until 1916. His MIC doesn't state when he arrived in France but as the letter is dated April 1916 he may have only just arrived.

His surname is open to so many ‘ancestry’ spelling variations that he may have papers I couldn’t find. If you know someone on Find my Past it might be an option to search there. The NA has him down as Jonathan R Brannen so a typo there too.

The attachment shows the units he served in which may help you find more info. Unit war diaries will help but obviously won't mention J Brannan or Brannen.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Registered Letter to Soldier in 2nd Army Headquarters  

Thanks, this is very helpful. Sounds like he had an interesting army career.