Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Light Horse photographs

Article about: Superb photographs please post more if possible.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Back to the matter in hand, wonderful to see all these rare photo's for the Light Horse and the interesting discussion about them.

Yes, back to the regular scheduled programming, Jerry

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I've post this one before I hope it's OK to post here? - well I am anyway --one I found in a cotton field barn up north Moree, NSW when I was a kid.
    Rene, I've tried to look up the trooper in your postcard, but can't find anything. The name looks like R.J. London but the Nominal Roll only lists one by that name and he wasn't with the Light Horse. Not sure what the number 2426 represents. As an Army number, 2426 is that of Harry Doyle of Gordonvale, Qld., one of the 11th. Light Horse's Aboriginal members. I'm not sure if that Regiment number on the postcard reads 10th. or not.

Cheers, Willie.

This is another photo of my Great Uncle posing among some stockpiled artillery, most likely taken the same time as the first photo in the thread. My guess is that this was at war's end and the equipment was being stored somewhere, possibly in Cairo or nearby.

Light Horse photographs

The back of this photo is inscribed 'Australian Mountain Battery'.
    Had a bit of a Google but only found the usual Howitzers etc.. Hopefully someone might recognize them.

Light Horse photographs

This looks similar.

Light Horse photographs

Cheers, Willie.

Quote by willie45 View Post
    Rene, I've tried to look up the trooper in your postcard, but can't find anything. The name looks like R.J. London but the Nominal Roll only lists one by that name and he wasn't with the Light Horse. Not sure what the number 2426 represents. As an Army number, 2426 is that of Harry Doyle of Gordonvale, Qld., one of the 11th. Light Horse's Aboriginal members. I'm not sure if that Regiment number on the postcard reads 10th. or not.

Cheers, Willie.
    Cheers Willie,
    I can't explain the discrepancies

Hi Willie,
    The second image may be QF 1 pounder Pom Pom AA Guns. Mounts vary on these.
    The third image may be QF 13 pounder 9 CWT AA guns.

Cheers mate
    Dave

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    The second image may be QF 1 pounder Pom Pom AA Guns. Mounts vary on these.
    The third image may be QF 13 pounder 9 CWT AA guns.
    Thanks Dave, I'll look those up. It's nice to be able to put a name to some of these photos.
    This is the only other image I have of that type; it looks the same as the ones on the carriages above. It's a fairly scratchy photo.

Cheers, Willie.

Light Horse photographs

Some more artillery pics. The small carriage with the chimney on the right of the photo looks a travelling forge.

Light Horse photographs

'Jericho Jane' after being captured and turned on it's side.

Light Horse photographs

Willie I believe that Dave is on the money re the Anti Aircraft guns in the previous images. The wiki address (Category:World War I anti-aircraft guns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) has some good links to various types as a quick reference. Given the "Lorry" census or rego number on the back of the AA gun it is most likely a Peerless AA Lorry based on the partial image of the wooden spoked rear wheel. The single image is again an AA Lorry, either a Peerless or a Thornycroft. Your traveling "forge" in the later image is in fact a mobile kitchen or part thereof. Again great pics and thanks for posting. Rod

CharlieC
    ?

Jerico Jane was a 15cm Kanone M16 built by Krupp - there were two, the other was called "Nimrin Nellie" by Allied troops. There's a surviving 15cm Krupp gun in the Carribean Gardens, Scoresby, Vic.

The field gun is a 7.5cm Krupp M03?, the Ottoman Army had several hundred of these, the majority were the M1903 model. There are about 30 or so in Australia.

The howitzer a few posts back is a 15cm schwere Feldhaubitze M13 - standard German heavy howitzer - the Germans supplied the Ottomans with 50 or so of these guns in 1915/16.

Regards,

Charlie

Quote by Hawkeye View Post
    Willie I believe that Dave is on the money re the Anti Aircraft guns in the previous images. The wiki address (Category:World War I anti-aircraft guns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) has some good links to various types as a quick reference. Given the "Lorry" census or rego number on the back of the AA gun it is most likely a Peerless AA Lorry based on the partial image of the wooden spoked rear wheel. The single image is again an AA Lorry, either a Peerless or a Thornycroft. Your traveling "forge" in the later image is in fact a mobile kitchen or part thereof. Again great pics and thanks for posting. Rod
    Much appreciated Rod, a big thanks to yourself and all the others for all your input and help in identifying these photos. I need to work out some system or index so that someone in the future can look at these and know what they are about.

This is an interesting one of a Holt 75. The hand written inscription on the reverse reads 'Desert Train'.
    In the right background of the photo is a bunch of camels going by. In the left background is a group, a bit hard to tell if it's mounted troops or more camels. The bloke in the foreground, lying in the sand and reading the book or paper, appears to have some furry animal perched on his left shoulder. The trailers have some markings, a broad arrow and '1203' on the front and a square insignia on the sides. The Holt appears to have '1204' on the front, and a '3' on the toolbox and the tank in front of it.

Light Horse photographs

Cheers, Willie.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast