MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Light infantry uniform ID help

Article about: this is way out of my comfort zone guys. can anyone help with a regiment or time period? many thanks in advance. Ed

Default Light infantry uniform ID help

this is way out of my comfort zone guys. can anyone help with a regiment or time period?
    many thanks in advance.
    Ed
    Light infantry uniform ID help

Sorry I can't id him, he is a senior nco with red sash and you can just see the tops of his sgt's stripes on his right arm. Variations of the stringed bugle was used by lots of light infantry units, each is distinctive but I could not match it to any in the book on collar badges I have.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry

would this help.

Click pic and it will enlarge for a better view.

Phill

Attachment 1003570

Just a quick look before going back to work.

My first thought was KSLI pre-WWI but then I wondered why the sash is over his right shoulder rather than left (this way the sash hangs over the waist where the bayonet frog would sit) yet the jacket can be seen to close left over right so not a reversed image.

Perhaps consideration of the light coloured uniform facings would help. Perhaps an Indian Army unit?

As I say, I have only time for a very quick look but will look again later when I get back from work.

Hope somebody else gets it in the meantime!!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The sash is the red SNCO's sash with a knot as the end, no bayonet worn on it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Hi Jerry

would this help.

Click pic and it will enlarge for a better view.

Phill

Attachment 1003570
    Thanks Phil, but I had blown it up and they do not match any I have in the book on collars.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The sash is the red SNCO's sash with a knot as the end, no bayonet worn on it.
    I know mate, I used to wear one I didn't mean a bayonet on the sash, I meant in a belt frog worn at the left rear of the waistbelt and therefore it would be under the sash tassel if it were worn over the right shoulder. That said I am sure I recall sashes worn this way in very specific circumstances but I just don't remember the details. I think this is too recent to be East India Company but what about a British Indian Army unit? Just a thought. I am at work so can't do much checking tonight
    Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I wondered why the sash is over his right shoulder rather than left.
    Mark
    D'Oh!! BECAUSE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE OVER THE RIGHT SHOULDER!!!

Like I said, I used to wear one myself and if worn over the left shoulder it would cover ones medals when worn. I don't know what I was thinking that day. Maybe I was tired in-between shifts. No excuse really though. Sorry!

Mark

?

I'm thinking that it may be the OX & Bucks Light Infantry, given the very simple collar badge, which is similar to the regiment's cap badge. No letters in their badge, such as DLI, DCLI, KSLI, etc. The white facings would match as well, but, given the Victorian buttons, I'm thinking circa 1890 on this photo, an era when many non-royal line infantry regiments lost their historic facing colours to the generic white for English regiments. Most "correct" facing colours were restored over time.

BobS

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    D'Oh!! BECAUSE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE OVER THE RIGHT SHOULDER!!!

Like I said, I used to wear one myself and if worn over the left shoulder it would cover ones medals when worn. I don't know what I was thinking that day. Maybe I was tired in-between shifts. No excuse really though. Sorry!

Mark
    Perhaps that's where you threw me and made me think you had not realised what it was. Obviously no intent on my part to do you down.

OX & Bucks is the closest match as Bob states, just not quite clearly match for their collars, though the pre and post 1881 version is very similar, with the post 1881 version being closer as bow is wider than the earlier pattern.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Light infantry uniform ID help  
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast