Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

A little gem that was made yesterday

Article about: Thought I'd share this one with you, as I have never seen one in this condition before. Picked it up at Leeds fair yesterday. It wasn't cheap, but to find another? A 1914 Princess Mary Tin,

Default A little gem that was made yesterday

Thought I'd share this one with you, as I have never seen one in this condition before. Picked it up at Leeds fair yesterday. It wasn't cheap, but to find another?

A 1914 Princess Mary Tin, complete with all contents and the picture, and all accompanying paperwork. with 100% gilding, it really does look like it was made yesterday.
    There is only one flaw which stops it from being stone mint, and that is someone at some stage, has opened the cigarettes, but none are missing. most that you see are 1915 dated, but this is the one for the first Christmas of the war
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A little gem that was made yesterday   A little gem that was made yesterday  

A little gem that was made yesterday   A little gem that was made yesterday  

Default Re: A little gem that was made yesterday

Herr Brandon, it could of been made yesterday....check out this site, ' Tommy's Pack Fillers ' they make and sell the tin (although out of stock at this time) and contents including the paperwork !.......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A little gem that was made yesterday  

Saw one just the other day locally, empty, and badly corroded.............$200.

Dream on.................

Regards, Steve.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Herr Brandon, it could of been made yesterday....check out this site, ' Tommy's Pack Fillers ' they make and sell the tin (although out of stock at this time) and contents including the paperwork !.......
    Jesus, that's scary. But. the tin contents has age to them. Not the sort of ageing one could replicate........................I hope

?

One way to find out John, take a very small piece of tobacco , place it on a flat surface and crush it with the flat of a knife,if very old it will be either very hard or very brittle and almost powdery, if it squashes flat and appears as if there is some moisture to it then its been added, also the colour should be very dark almost black, the paper should also be very fragile, again lack of moisture. I once found a few loose cigarettes in the bottom of a service gas mask holder, they nearly fell apart in my hands and that was after 50yrs but that was in very dry conditioned environment.