Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.

Article about: Hi Guys, being from Nottingham, where I am originally from, Capt Ball was a boy hood hero of mine. He was an air ace of the Royal Flying Corps in WW1. In the grounds of Nottingham Castle sta

Default A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.

Hi Guys, being from Nottingham, where I am originally from, Capt Ball was a boy hood hero of mine. He was an air ace of the Royal Flying Corps in WW1.

In the grounds of Nottingham Castle stands this bronze memorial to him.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.   A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.  

A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.  
    Attached Images Attached Images A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC. 

Default Re: A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.

Inside the Castle, which is a museum are some artifacts of his.

Here we have his medals, a presentation box, armoured wrist watch, flying gloves, plus the things I like best, the bullet holed parts taken from some of his aircract.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.   A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.  

A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.   A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.  

A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.   A local Hero: Captain Albert Ball VC.  

OKW
    ?

Thirteen years from the Wright brothers to finding a new way of killing each other. Wasn't Ball from the 'wrong' side of the tracks? not public school old boy, the quiet one who preferred his own company and his violin. I presume the medals are replicas, can't be far short of £500000 worth there considering an 'ordinary' V.C can fetch £250000.

He actually came form a "well to do" background. His father later become Lord Mayor of Nottingham. Some nice info here:

Captain Albert Ball - VC DSO MC - Air ace of World War 1

The VC is cetainly a replica on the display. If they have the original, it will be in a bank vault. I dread to think of a possible value!

Cheers, Ade.

?

A great tribute to a hero,truly a shame to die so young and suspiciously,interesting about his kill lists,seems like just unrelenting flying skills and dogging his targets into crashing,forced landings ect.Imagine the possibility of seeing that first hand as some had from landowners,farmers..Great link Ade,thanks for sharing mate...Cheers!