Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The medals of Sgt Pierre Chastagnol

Article about: A recent addition to my French medal collection is a framed set of Croixe de Guerre and Medaille Militaire with certificate, awarded to Sgt Pierre Chastagnol. On 4th May 1915 he received his

Default The medals of Sgt Pierre Chastagnol

A recent addition to my French medal collection is a framed set of Croixe de Guerre and Medaille Militaire with certificate, awarded to Sgt Pierre Chastagnol.

On 4th May 1915 he received his first citation for his actions on 24th April while serving with 100 RI at Bois d'Ailly: 'Showed courage and bravery in the trenches, where despite an intense bombardment he continued to fire.'

The medals of Sgt Pierre Chastagnol The medals of Sgt Pierre Chastagnol

In March 1916 he joined 165 RI and fought at Verdun, during this period the regiment saw action at Haumont wood, Caures wood, and Anglemont farm where they suffered very heavy losses. In April the regiment moved to Flanders, and in June, Chastagnol was injured by a rocket, receiving substantial burns to his face and hand which resulted in him being evacuated from the trenches.

After recovering, he was attached to 84 RI on 10th September 1916 and departed for Salonika. While serving there, he was commended for his brave actions on 30th August 1917 when he volunteered for some of the most dangerous missions during the fighting on that day. By July 1918 he was back in France, and after joining 8 RI he saw action at Wadon puis Aisne from August onwards, and then on to Ponto St Medart where he served until the armistice.

?

nice framed set and very interesting write up

The top page of Chastagnol's military records. My method of translating the documents is rather crude, but it works well. I use 'Google' translator, but the hard part is deciphering the handwriting. Click on picture to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Hello

A nice one.
    He voluntered for 3 years in 1911, was release of duty in April 14 to get back in august foor the war...
    A pretty active curriculum

Bruno