Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mk1 Brodie Barn Find

Article about: Good Evening All, I'd like to share with you what I picked up at a farm auction this weekend, it's what I believe to be a mk1 Brodie helmet in pretty poor condition but fairly complete. I'm

Default Mk1 Brodie Barn Find

Good Evening All,

I'd like to share with you what I picked up at a farm auction this weekend, it's what I believe to be a mk1 Brodie helmet in pretty poor condition but fairly complete.

I'm in two minds what to do with it, either leave it as it is or restore it with a new liner and a coat of paint but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks.

Tom.

Mk1 Brodie Barn FindMk1 Brodie Barn FindMk1 Brodie Barn FindMk1 Brodie Barn FindMk1 Brodie Barn Find

CBH
    ?

Nice find , I think it wouldn't need new paint once it's cleaned . IMHO

?

Clean the helmet and wipe the oil cloth liner with a damp rag. You will be amazed how it will improve the looks.

give it a clean up, if you restore it, it's history will be lost

I would just start with a gentle vacuum, with the brush-attachment and go from there to see what more is needed to clean it. Probably just a damp rag indeed.

Thanks guys, I will try just that. At the auction they stuck the lot number to the top of the helmet with grease, I've got most of it off but would I be safe to try and clean it up with white spirit or some other type of degreaser?

Leave as is. As previously stated wipe the liner, hoover out the dust(making sure you don't loose any liner parts!) Give the shell a gentle wash. With advice you may want to consider a stabilising wax to prevent further rusting. Nice to see things like this turning up at odd auctions

I agree with leaving as it is. Personally I would not dampen any part of it with water. I have had good results with Renaissance Wax. I would get a pot of Ren Wax and use it on the liner and the shell, use a soft cloth and it should lift up the dirt and bits of loose rust and protect the helmet from further deterioration as well. Cheers.

Thanks guys, I did as you recommended and it looks 100% better. I'll try some of this ren wax and post some pictures this weekend.

Many thanks.

Mk1 Brodie Barn FindMk1 Brodie Barn FindMk1 Brodie Barn Find

Whilst cleaning it up I could just make out the stamp F8 95 which I guess is relevant to the maker?

I must say acquiring helmets this way is very satisfying!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast