Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Monitor 27 Archangel DSM

Article about: J.4467 Leading Seaman A.Charlton Royal Navy DSM awarded, 1919, for services onboard 'Monitor 27' during action on the Archangel River. At 4.a.m. on the morning of the 20th June, the Russian

UnknownSoldier
    ?

Default Monitor 27 Archangel DSM

J.4467 Leading Seaman A.Charlton Royal Navy

DSM awarded, 1919, for services onboard 'Monitor 27' during action on the Archangel River.

At 4.a.m. on the morning of the 20th June, the Russian 60 pounders and M.27, firing her triple-4" opened on Topsa and targets in the vicinity.

"M.27's" attention was confined to the neighbourhood of Topsa Church as that was known as a spotting position, but she had orders to avoid a direct hit if possible as we might want it for a similar purpose. Her fire was accurate and effective. at 4.30 a.m. the bombardment of Topsa ceased and the First Division opened fire on the Troitsa area.

Then.....

I cannot speak too highly of the admirable spirit of the crew of "M.27"...... They worked incessantly, firstly lightening the ships, then laying out the anchors and wores, taking in the tow, etc., frequently without meal hours and always with a single-hearted debvotion to their ships which made the final destruction particularly hard. I have never seen a small ships company so smart, well disciplined and clean and so sincerely attached to their officers and their ship as that of "M.27". They have performed most valuable and gallant services in action on many occasions and had good reason for pride in their ship.

Tom

Does anyone have any photos of the Monitor 27 ?

I can not seem to find any on a google search only showing computer monitors.
    A very Old thread that should not be abandoned.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry.

This is not in my area of knowledge, so please delete if I have this wrong.

I had a search and found this information and photo (HM M.27 in North Russia in 1919)

M-CLASS COASTAL MONITORS

A series of fourteen ships was ordered in 1915 for use in supporting operations ashore and were smaller versions of the larger Monitors. These ships displaced only 540 tons compared with the larger EREBUS Class of 7,000 tons ordered a few weeks later in 1915. Their armament was smaller compared with the 15” guns fitted in the EREBUS Class and those built during WW2. As their draught was less they could operate in shallow waters near the coast which proved especially suitable for their deployments during and after WW1. Some of this Class were converted for use a Coastal Minelayers after 1921.

M-Class Monitors, RN, WW2

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Monitor 27 Archangel DSM  

Every little bit helps Will ...theres more now than there was in 2008
    Thankyou

Cheers Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

Edit: Didn't see wilmores post.....so mine is pretty useless.

------------

This is the M21 and not the M27. But since they were both M15 class monitors the photo should give you an idea as to what it looked like.

All of this is from Wiki, so hoping it is correct.

Here is a wiki link of all the M15 monitors. A few have a photo attached. But not the M27

Category:M15-class monitors - Wikipedia

Monitor 27 Archangel DSM

Here is the M15, which I think shows the original larger gun configuration

Monitor 27 Archangel DSM
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

No problem Larry, I’m happy to help.

Kind regards,

Will.

@ MAP - I really think your information is useful and adds to the story of these ships! The link you posted is very interesting and I will be reading about them and learning something new.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Willmore View Post
    No problem Larry, I’m happy to help.

Kind regards,

Will.

@ MAP - I really think your information is useful and adds to the story of these ships! The link you posted is very interesting and I will be reading about them and earning something new.
    Thanks! I was joking a bit as it being "useless".

From my very very quick search, the one thing I saw was that the main gun's were often changed. For the M27, the original gun was removed so it could be utilized on the western front and it was replaced with a 6 inch gun. Then that was switched out again.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks MAP.

Very interesting information about guns being utilise elsewhere.

These are fascinating and little famed small units that did some pretty hairy stuff.

Not an M15 but an M29 Monitor M33 which also served in Russia in 1919 is preserved at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard in Hampshire UK for anyone interested in the series.

It's a pity the op didn't add info about the Distinguished Service Medal (DSM) he was talking about as I would certainly be interested. My great grandfather was a WWI sailor in both wars and earned a DSM on minesweepers in 1944.

Maybe this is an "off piste" topic worthy of progression in some form?

Monitor 27 Archangel DSM

PS The rather large vessel in the background is R08 HMS Queen Elizabeth in which my son was serving at the time of this pic and which coincidentally returned to the same berth yesterday 091221 after 7 months with allies in the Carrier Strike Group mixing it up with the Russians (and Chinese)

Regards

Mark
    PS For an idea of perspective look at the white ensign on the Jackstaff on the stern of HMS QE, it is a 3 yard flag.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-11-2021 at 12:41 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."