Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Mons Star 2/Welsh William Roach

Article about: To complete my small collection of Welsh Mons stars I had long wanted one to the Welsh regiment to match those I have for the Royal Welsh fusiliers and the South Wales Borderers. That said,

Default Mons Star 2/Welsh William Roach

To complete my small collection of Welsh Mons stars I had long wanted one to the Welsh regiment to match those I have for the Royal Welsh fusiliers and the South Wales Borderers. That said, Mons stars can be found for the Monmouths and the Brecknocks I think, though not the Welsh Guards.

Private William Roach #1262 2nd Welsh, to France 10/11/14. Not done any research yet other than to find his MIC as my ancestry account has lapsed except for them which are free. Sadly missed last weekend when all searches were free.

The war diary says a draft arrived at Ypres on the 16th which would have included him.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mons Star 2/Welsh William Roach   Mons Star 2/Welsh William Roach  

Mons Star 2/Welsh William Roach   Mons Star 2/Welsh William Roach  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

What's the meaning of the W on the reverse of the crown? Never seen anything like that before.

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    What's the meaning of the W on the reverse of the crown? Never seen anything like that before.

Tony

Me neither mate, welsh perhaps?
    Regards,

Jerry

kc1
    ?

Woolwich perhaps, they were making the plaques. Ask on british medal forum, never seen anything else like that. The right to wear the ribbon was published in 1917 i believe, perhaps this was an early prototype.

Quote by kc1 View Post
    Woolwich perhaps, they were making the plaques. Ask on british medal forum, never seen anything else like that. The right to wear the ribbon was published in 1917 i believe, perhaps this was an early prototype.
    I will ask on the bmf
    it appears to be hand etched.
    Regards,

Jerry

I asked on the BMF and 3 people replied with the answer it was probably a pawn brokers mark, though it was noted as being neater than was typical for such marks.
    Regards,

Jerry