Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

More trench maps

Article about: Here is another trench map from my collection. This one is sheet number 28 NW edition 4 B. German trenches in red and correct up to 28/1/1917 I have enlarged a section and again matched it u

Default More trench maps

Here is another trench map from my collection. This one is sheet number 28 NW edition 4 B. German trenches in red and correct up to 28/1/1917

I have enlarged a section and again matched it up to an image from Google earth. This is the area around Hill 60 in Belgium. The clump of trees next to the railway line - known as 'The Dump' is still there. The actual road layouts have barely changed.

More trench mapsMore trench maps

?

That is nice work friend.

Default Cambridge Road

Here's another comparison. The white circle is the approximate site of Prowse Farm. yellow dot is Oxford Road. Red dot is Cambridge Road. Although hard to see, at the top of Cambridge Road and just to the left is a blue dot which marks the approximate site of Mill Cottage. Pink dot is the site of Crump Farm. White dot is Warwick farm. White cross marks the approximate position of 'The Mound' and is also the approximate position of the German front line. The British front line was at the right edge of Crump Farm. The track running down to the bottom of the picture from Crump Farm follows the line of the British front-line trench

Default Mouse Trap Farm

Here's a view of part of the area around the infamous Mouse Trap Farm. The dull red dot is Mouse Trap Farm. The white cross marks the approximate spot of Pickelhaube Ho. The yellow dot is Cheddar Villa and blue dot is Bossaert Farm.

Great stuff Harry. Which units were there at the time?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Here's another comparison. The white circle is the approximate site of Prowse Farm. yellow dot is Oxford Road. Red dot is Cambridge Road. Although hard to see, at the top of Cambridge Road and just to the left is a blue dot which marks the approximate site of Mill Cottage. Pink dot is the site of Crump Farm. White dot is Warwick farm. White cross marks the approximate position of 'The Mound' and is also the approximate position of the German front line. The British front line was at the right edge of Crump Farm. The track running down to the bottom of the picture from Crump Farm follows the line of the British front-line trench

Steve that's great mate , my Grandfather was at Warwick Farm in 1918 with 126 Heavy Battery RGA ( 60 Pounders ) !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

nice work Harry.

Hi Jerry,

rather than trying to explain troops there at the time, I have taken the easy (lazy) option. Here are two maps. One lifted from Lyn Macdonald's excellent book... 'They Called It Passchendaele.' And the other is from another excellent book... 'Passchendaele' by Peter Barton. I will go through the maps again in a bit and see if I can find some more interesting bits. A good tip for anyone who may wish to own original trench maps, do as I do. I scan them and keep the scans in an A4 wallet folder. It takes around nine sheets of A4 to do a complete trench map of a scale of 1:20,000. But once scanned, there is no need to keep opening those 90+ year-old maps. All I do is refer to the scans. They are much easier to handle. if you look at the yellow map, Oxford Road (shown on previous photo) runs down from just left of Wieltje. This should be a good marker for anyone who wants to compare previous images.

Default Warwick Farm

Hi Paul,

Here's a scan of more of the area around Warwick Farm. I can't give you the grid reference (in slidex or griddle ). But if you look at second square down from right you should locate it. This scan represents 1/9th of the area covered by the map.

I forgot to add (for those that may not already know), British trenches are marked in blue. They are not named or marked as exact positions for security reasons. It wouldn't do for the Germans to capture an accurate up-to-date trench map! Around 1918, the German trenches began to be marked in blue on British maps to correspond with the French system of marking trench maps.

More trench maps

Not sure how I missed this - but many thanks for sharing.

I love these type of maps...I have several.

Cheers