Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

My first WW1 US helmet

Article about: I just picked up my first WW1 US helmet. I think that it is in pretty good shape. The liner and leather chinstrap is intact. My question is it a US or a British made helmet (by the code numb

?

Default My first WW1 US helmet

I just picked up my first WW1 US helmet. I think that it is in pretty good shape. The liner and leather chinstrap is intact. My question is it a US or a British made helmet (by the code number YJ147).
    Attached Images Attached Images My first WW1 US helmet  My first WW1 US helmet  My first WW1 US helmet  My first WW1 US helmet 

Default Re: My first WW1 US helmet

By virtue of the chin strap clip rivet being solid (not split) it is a US helmet. Russ

?

Thanks Russ, I was pretty sure that the painted insignia was that of the 37th Division insignia, but I was not sure that it was a American made helmet (I know that many were British made). I only gave 100 bucks, so I am happy.

?

Very nice helmet. A fair price too. YJ is an American manufacturers stamp. Luckily, most of these were painted shortly after WW1, so there was no need to wear a bulls-eye into combat!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

$100 is a good price, especially having the liner and strap in such good condition. I've seen the shell alone go for $100 with no straps or liners. Good addition!

?

I read somewhere that the soldiers were allow to paint their unit insignia on their helmet (to show unit pride) as they was waiting to be deactivated at the end of the war.