Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Great Grandfather

Article about: My great grandfather was silent after he came back from the First World War (I can't blame him he saw some horrific things) but I would like to know if anyone could dig up any records on him

Default My Great Grandfather

My great grandfather was silent after he came back from the First World War (I can't blame him he saw some horrific things) but I would like to know if anyone could dig up any records on him the only one that I have been able to find is this.

CLARENCE C. WILCOCKSON

Private, Headquarters Company, 124th Field Artillery, Thirty-third Divi-
    sion, U. S. A. Son of Charles Henry and Alice Wilcockson, Chatham, 111.
    Born October 6, 1898, in Woodside, 111. Entered service October 9, 1917,
    from Woodside, 111. Received his training at Camp Logan, Houston, Tex.
    Sailed overseas May 18, 1918, on the Melita. In action at St. Mihiel,
    Argonne Forest and Meuse-Argonne. Was in Laneuville, France, when
    the Armistice was signed. Discharged June 8, 1919, at Camp Granjt, 111.

I also have his full uniform but other then that I haven't been able to find anything else.

I just recalled a story that I find strange he was a scout at one time (probably a listening post) because he said he would hide in the bushes and the Germans would get so close that he could understand them but he was in an artillery division, my aunt also told me he was part of the Calvary but I find that quite unlikely again considering he was part of an artillery division.

I hope you can find some information. Its great that you still posess his uniform. Have you posted it?

No, I have not posted it but when I get the chance I will but here is his helmet.

My Great Grandfather

My Great Grandfather

My Great Grandfather

The liner is my favorite part . Why is the helmet sideways? I have no idea but oh well. Does anyone know a good rust protection agent that doesn't harm the helmet?

?

That is great buddy.
    You have a lot of information about him. Having his uniform and helmet is very nice. You are fortunate.

?

That is great that you are searching for info on your GGF. I have spent the last 4 years researching my Uncle's service and it was more recent(WW2) than your's. I wish you luck in your research.
    If you do have his uniform. His service patch's and his medals will give us some information to share with you. So if possible, a couple pic's of his uniform would help.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I'll take pictures of the uniform when I get the time so probably sometime next week. For some reason he didn't have patches on his uniform (or I'm just blind which ever). There are usually honor books for people who went into service which says where they served and where they were stationed and it goes by county.

As the world would be its allergy season so those photos will be delayed until its not spring for two reasons A: If I sneezed on the uniform I won't be too happy B: The place where it is is also where my allergies act up. (Would a grammarian like to check if using the word is twice in a row is appropriate).

We can't wait, you're very lucky to have this in the family still. Take good care of it!

Quote by Nathan362 View Post
    We can't wait, you're very lucky to have this in the family still. Take good care of it!
    Wait, I wasn't supposed to spray it with furniture polish? Well this is problematic.

I keep the uniform in a very secured box which is very hard to move and is basically airtight, that uniform itself has a few holes in it (thanks a lot moths you find creative ways to try and ruin my family artifacts) he also kept a war paper in there, the ones they would give out specifically to the soldiers, and other then a few stains on some of his bags (from age) its complete. I also have his trench coat which no one seems to have or at least I can never find them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast