Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

"N" Marked 1888 Bayonet

Article about: Hello People, Picked up this handsome 1888 Bayonet today in a market, at an ok price. Just spotted it is marked "N", so quite pleased.. At first glance, if it is Naval, maybe it sh

Default "N" Marked 1888 Bayonet

Hello People,

Picked up this handsome 1888 Bayonet today in a market, at an ok price.
    Just spotted it is marked "N", so quite pleased..

At first glance, if it is Naval, maybe it should have a different scabbard..

Btw...It came with the flag...thus the background on the first pic...

Thanks for looking
    Any comments welcome!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "N" Marked 1888 Bayonet   "N" Marked 1888 Bayonet  

"N" Marked 1888 Bayonet   "N" Marked 1888 Bayonet  

Attached Images Attached Images "N" Marked 1888 Bayonet 

First pic here from edge of the ricasso, second from lower section metal, between the grips..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "N" Marked 1888 Bayonet   "N" Marked 1888 Bayonet  

?

Many of these P1888's were paired with new scabbards and reissued to the navy at the outbreak of WWII. Is the scabbard marked on the body by the back seam? Is there a hole in the grip by the upper rivet?

Nice find,
    Jim

Hi, thanks for looking and commenting..

.. yes, I found a hole by the rivet nearest the pommel (was clogged with grease), and no, can't see marking on the scabbard except on the upper metal section below the staple

Thanks

"N" Marked 1888 Bayonet   "N" Marked 1888 Bayonet  

"N" Marked 1888 Bayonet  

Vary nice P1888 and the flag is a bonus.........Jim, what is the significance of the hole next to the rivet if I may ask ??

?

Quote by Lugerlout View Post
    Vary nice P1888 and the flag is a bonus.........Jim, what is the significance of the hole next to the rivet if I may ask ??
    Just a clean out hole and in that position lets you know that it is an MK1 second model. I thought I could see it in the pictures, but plugged with something, now I guess we know it was grease.

Jim

OK thanks for the info.

Thanks for the input folks