Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Named French group WWI and interwar period

Article about: Hello! Last weekend walked by an antique market and got this group named to "M. Commandant GARDES". The "Prevoyance Sociale" medal is from 1934. Looking forward for resea

?

Default Named French group WWI and interwar period

Hello!

Last weekend walked by an antique market and got this group named to "M. Commandant GARDES". The "Prevoyance Sociale" medal is from 1934. Looking forward for research possibilities... and incentive to refresh my French. I don't know if the "Légion d'honneur" is wartime or for interwar period. I tend to think the later.

Are there rolls with information on a "Légion d'honneur" cavaliers?

?

What do you know! Good man has already helped! Cavaliers with name GARDES: http://www.culture.gouv.fr/public/mi...VALUE_1=GARDES

MAP
    ?

A very nice grouping. Congrats!

Looks stunning on that blue background. I think I might have to find some velvet in this color next time I put a medal display together. I typically use black or red.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

More good people helped!
    M Commandant means Medicin Commandant.
    So he was a army doctor in rank Major. It actually makes the search much easier and fits perfectly to the post war medal issued by Hygiene ministry.

I was understanding "M" stood for "Monsieur". But I am so much smarter now!
    Will have to now comb through the list of Legion Cavaliers. I think I already saw there a medic on the first glans.

A very nice group, but apart from that single named medal... is there anything else to link the rest of the medals to the same man? This is the problem with French medals... unless they are mounted on a bar - or attached to a certificate, you can never be absolutely sure that they have all been awarded to the same man.

?

I hear you. But in this case, I think , it is a good deal.

Looking through the list , I think, the veteran is GARDES Gaston Raoul Philippe (1889 - 1974) born, lived, and died in Paris (13 arrondissement). Legion of Honour cavalier by the decree 25 Dec 1929. Service record is available. But, it seems, I missed out on his Colonial medal with "Maroc" bar.

Service in WWI: 1914-1919 in France. Wounded on 8 September 1916 in Somme: "Head fracture right side". Later in Morocco in 1919-1921.

The information matches quite well. One discrepancy is that the had Croix de Guerre with one ??? star. Cann't understand if it is written bronze, silver, or gilt star. But there is a palm on my CDG. Could this be a small pimp up by veteran? Did these things happen in France too?

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/public/mi...X3=100&DOM=All