Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Named WW1 USA Campaign hat 311th F.A.

Article about: Hey guys thought I would share a recent purchase of mine with you. This is a private purchase ww1 USA campaign hat made by John & Stenson Co. and was distributed by “The Hub” in Balt

?

Default Named WW1 USA Campaign hat 311th F.A.

Hey guys thought I would share a recent purchase of mine with you.

This is a private purchase ww1 USA campaign hat made by John & Stenson Co. and was distributed by “The Hub” in Baltimore. It is in very used condition but has definitely held up well over the years. The chinstrap is very dry and feels like it could snap if tugged. The sweatband suggests a lot of use and a strap that goes around the hat has been ripped up a bit. There are some stains but I think this adds a lot of character to the hat

I was stumped at first as to who this hat belonged to. At first the only markings I spotted on the hat was the obvious inscription on the inside. I could definitely read out his first two initials J.B followed by the last name starting M. I really struggled to work out a last name but then later on right next to the Baltimore logo I spotted he had written out his name again! So adding what I knew now I can produce the following

“J B Marshall
    1st Lieut?
    SRC?
    311th F.A.”

And on the sweatband
    “ J B Marshall
    311 F.A.
    USA“
    If you see something there I don’t or disagree with that please say!

If anyone can tell/pm a good website for searching up ww1 US soldiers I would be grateful as I am struggling to find any good sources.

Hopefully you guys like the hat as much as I do. I reckon this is a new favourite piece in my collection!

John

?

Nice addition John and a great item to research . hopefully someone will point you in the right direction.

Cheers, Al

311th FA would be the 311th Field Artillery Regiment, a regiment that was part of the 79th Infantry Division. They operated 75mm guns.

A very nice hat, in great condition for its age!

Regards, B.B.

?

Ahahah yeah thanks I should have stated that!

Best bet would probably be to use google and search up his name/unit/division. NARA would be a great place to go for his service record and some other documents (if you find more info like his name), but because of the pandemic they're closed right now and who knows when they'll reopen.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Best bet would probably be to use google and search up his name/unit/division. NARA would be a great place to go for his service record and some other documents (if you find more info like his name), but because of the pandemic they're closed right now and who knows when they'll reopen.
    I think the online archives are still up and running, but will admit it will be like hunting for a needle in a haystack with a name as common as this. And I generally have little luck finding officers in the database

NARA - AAD - Main Page
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks guys, i have now learnt that a lot of the records were destroyed in a fire in the 70s. But the state level records have survived. Since this hat was bought from Baltimore i thought then it would be worth a try looking through Marylands ww1 veteran roll from the 20s i think it was. I guess I definitely know he was from the east coast, But i had no luck finding him from the Maryland documents

I guess in theory i could check all the east coast states records but if i am lacking more of the necessary information then that would still only complicate things.

I think ultimately i am just very happy this hat is still in good condition all these years later, and J B Marshall inscriptions are just a very cool addition. Thanks a ton guys!

?

I’m struggling with the name, but I cannot see Marshal..
    Might that be a ‘McSomething’?
    Granted, I don’t have it in-hand, so I am sure you have a better view (and about 35 years less wear and tear on your eyes)!

Whoever it is, that’s a splendid hat, Sir.
    All the best,
    Bob

?

Believe it or not i also thought it was Mcsomething until i saw the sweatband inscription! Granted its a bit faded and worn but i am quite confident its Marshall