Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Nearly mint pair in box of issue

Article about: I picked up this pair today whilst on a trip to Cardiff with her indoors. She went and bought some clothes and met up with friends, I looked at militaria. The pair is still in its original b

Default Nearly mint pair in box of issue

I picked up this pair today whilst on a trip to Cardiff with her indoors. She went and bought some clothes and met up with friends, I looked at militaria.

The pair is still in its original box, and the medals show almost no wear with the BWM being quite tarnished but still shiny (sadly the pics of it do not capture how fine the condition is) and the VM is in nearly perfect condition. As is not uncommonly seen, the medals have the ribbons on the wrong medals, they came unmounted to the recipient and it is obvious that this mistake was done back in the day.

His full name is Thomas John Williams and his short first number suggests he might have been an old soldier or perhaps was a Terrier. He then served with the 6th Glamorgan Battailon which became the pioneer Bn with the First division in France in 1916 and later he served with the 4th TF Bn, probably at wars end before being demobbed, though he might have continued with the Terriers for many years after, especially if he had been a TF before the war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nearly mint pair in box of issue   Nearly mint pair in box of issue  

Nearly mint pair in box of issue   Nearly mint pair in box of issue  

Nearly mint pair in box of issue  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A nice pick-up. Women are always best left to meet up with friends when viewing militaria. it saves answering any difficult questions!

Very nice Jerry very nice medals and I have seen the ribbons on the wrong medals before my great grandads have never been mounted and still have there issue boxes and paper sleeves for the medal but the medals were with the wrong ribbons in the boxes. Thanks for posting them

Matt

?

Nice score buddy.

?

Great pickup, with the box and in this condition, a rare find.

A very nice find Jerry!...

thanks all. Finding one still in its issue box from circa 95 years back is a first for me.

He was probably a Swansea jack, as the 6th were raised in Swansea and district and the original core of the unit were from the pre war TF bn and can trace their history back to the formation in 1859 of the 3rd Glamorgan Volunteer Rifle Corps.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.