Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Need hellp - is this a real 1851 Belgian Kurassier helmet?

Article about: Hi guys, first post, need to pick some expert brains please... Is the helmet I've attached genuine? Although I'm an antique dealer this is WAY out of my area of expertise, I simply thought i

gj123
    ?

Default Need hellp - is this a real 1851 Belgian Kurassier helmet?

Hi guys, first post, need to pick some expert brains please...

Is the helmet I've attached genuine? Although I'm an antique dealer this is WAY out of my area of expertise, I simply thought it was a fantastic looking helmet so I'm thinking of buying it. A quick google tells my that it's a Belgian Kurassier helmet. It has stamped into into 195 V 1851. I'm concerned that the ornamental metal is so thin, look at the wear above the lion's eyes, think helmet must has been polished religiously, do they wear through like that?

Is it genuine? Any advice very gratefully received. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need hellp - is this a real 1851 Belgian Kurassier helmet?  

Default Re: Need hellp - is this a real 1851 Belgian Kurassier helmet?

gj123, its a nice looking helmet, but I have no idea as to originality or type etc ... I think its in the wrong sub forum, (German and Austro-Hungarian items/militaria here) I will ask an administrator to place in a more appropriate section.......where it will get more coverage and perhaps a positive reply, sorry I could not help.
    Prost ! Steve.

gj123
    ?

Quote by oradour View Post
    gj123, its a nice looking helmet, but I have no idea as to originality or type etc ... I think its in the wrong sub forum, (German and Austro-Hungarian items/militaria here) I will ask an administrator to place in a more appropriate section.......where it will get more coverage and perhaps a positive reply, sorry I could not help.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Steve, apologies for my incompetence and thanks for you help.

Gareth.

Gareth, no need to apologise...just thought it would be better debated on a more appropriate section, good luck !
    Prost ! Steve.

To late for the debat apparently.
    Just bust into thise thread accidently.
    Thise helmet is a fine example of the second model Belgian cuirassier helmet, very strongly looking alike the Dutch one's, who we got rid of in 1830.
    The helmet looks ok to me. About the wear of the metal; I can only say they are known to be very fragile. Something to do with the alloy tha have been used back then.
    I had 3 of them during the years, just thinking of buying a fresch one.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris