Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help in Identifying Brodie-style helmet

Article about: I have recently obtained what appears to be a WWI era Brodie style helmet. It has the mark of XHP stamped on it. This doesnt seem to match up with any of the British steel suppliers or helme

VinceD
    ?

Default Need Help in Identifying Brodie-style helmet

I have recently obtained what appears to be a WWI era Brodie style helmet. It has the mark of XHP stamped on it. This doesnt seem to match up with any of the British steel suppliers or helmet manufacturers. Does anyone have any ideas on who or what XHP is ?

The helmet has been repainted in apple green paint and has a reproduction liner installed.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images Need Help in Identifying Brodie-style helmet  Need Help in Identifying Brodie-style helmet  Need Help in Identifying Brodie-style helmet 

Default Re: Need Help in Identifying Brodie-style helmet

Quote by VinceD View Post
    I have recently obtained what appears to be a WWI era Brodie style helmet. It has the mark of XHP stamped on it. This doesnt seem to match up with any of the British steel suppliers or helmet manufacturers. Does anyone have any ideas on who or what XHP is ?

The helmet has been repainted in apple green paint and has a reproduction liner installed.

Thanks for your help.
    Vince,
    I am not by any means an authority on the Brodie helmet, however based on the high crown of this helmet I would lean more towards it being a "Civil Defense" or construction helmet rather than military.
    Terry

VinceD
    ?

Thanks very much Hawk.

This might very well be a private purchase helmet. The liner seem to be of high quality. Probably purchased by an officer in WW1. In those days the shapes of the private hemers did not always conform to military specs.
    Cheers,
    emile

VinceD
    ?

Thanks Emile. You have a good eye. The liner is indeed a private purchase...it is a modern reproduction bought last year !!! You have a good point about the helmet itself. This could be why it doesnt seem to fit in any known categorie.

?

I do not think it is a military helmet at all. No metal trim on the brim. Definitly repainted. As mentioned the liner is not original to the helmet. I have never heard of private purchase brodie helmets.
    I think it is something used by civilians. For what I do not know.
    If it is british manufacture it will have split rivits for chinstrap bails. If American made it will be peened rivits.

VinceD
    ?

Thanks Steve. I know for a fact it has been repainted. It has split rivets, so seems like of British manufacture.

VinceD
    ?

You got me thinking about private purchase helmets. I found this on the Wilson History and Research Center site:

During World War I (1914-1918), many officers in the British military who could afford to do so bought commercially made helmets. These helmets were often rimless. The helmets in general kept the same shape as the British Mk-I and Brodie helmets though many had a larger, bell-shaped, shell than the Mk-I. Most were made from mild steel. A n

?

By golly you learn something new every day in this hobby. Thanks for the information.
    Steve

Hello! I bought a WW1 British brodie helmet on ebay, its just a shell it has markings in it. it is stamped H.V with a line and c or an o can't quite make it then 41. any ideas on the manufactures or the date of the helmet. thanks