Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Helmet with original sandbag cover and unit flashes

Article about: So - this is a new acquisition of mine that I am completely thrilled by - authentic WW I commonwealth helmets to OR's with sacking field made covers are rare enough - but this one is unit ba

Default New Helmet with original sandbag cover and unit flashes

So - this is a new acquisition of mine that I am completely thrilled by - authentic WW I commonwealth helmets to OR's with sacking field made covers are rare enough - but this one is unit battle patched and named to the soldier who wore it. It is the Mk I brodie with no donut c. mid 1916- early 1917 named to Benjamin Baldrey S-20418 1st Bn The Rifle Brigade (confirmed on the medal rolls and the unit WW I nominal rolls) with the correct (faded but clearly yellow) fabric Maltese Cross on the 3 - 9 O'Clock position on the helmet - further confirmed by Warings War Department pamphlet documenting BEF formation flashes, entry D 298. The helmet maker is not one I've encountered before either.

1st Battalion, The Rifle Brigade were at Colchester with 11th Brigade, 4th Division when war broke out in August 1914. 4th Division was held back from the original British Expeditionary Force by a last minute decision to defend England against a possible German landing. The fate of the BEF in France and the lack of any move by the Enemy to cross the channel, reversed this decision and they proceeded to France, landing at Le Havre on the 23rd of August 1914 in time to provide infantry reinforcements at the Battle of Le Cateau. They were in action at the The Battle of the Marne, The Battle of the Aisne and at The Battle of Messines in 1914. In 1915 they fought in The Second Battle of Ypres and in 1916 moved south and were in action during the Battles of the Somme. In 1917 they were at Arras, in action during the The First and Third Battles of the Scarpe, before heading north for the Third Battle of Ypres, where they fought in The Battle of Polygon Wood, The Battle of Broodseinde, The Battle of Poelcapelle and The First Battle of Passchendaele. In 1918 they were in action on The Somme, then returned to Flanders fighting in the Defence of Hinges Ridge during The Battle of Hazebrouck and in The Battle of Bethune, The Advance in Flanders The Second Battles of Arras, the Battles of the Hindenburg Line and the Final Advance in Picardy. The 4th Division was demobilised in Belgium in early 1919.

MAP
    ?

That looks fantastic.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

That is a great looking helm from a unit that from your research had quite a go at it during WW1. I find it very interesting that they choose the Maltese cross as the unit designation.
    A beautiful addition to your collection.
    Congrats!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks guys, Phil, easy reason, here is the RB cap badge:

Very nice its just stunning your research is great aswell.

Very very nice find mate..great condition

A nice piece of history there!

A stunning helmet and cover, I assume this was not cheap. Great to see you could research the owner, amazing what you can do with Great war soldiers histories these days.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A very nice helmet, and not something you come across that often. Well done!

Love it. It looks like it was put in a box in someone's wardrobe and forgotten about for 96 years!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast