Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Zealand Pioneer battalion cap badge

Article about: Hello and I hope you don't mind me posting this badge here. I have never seen any restrikes or copies of this badge, but thought I should get some opinion, but I think it is a good original

Default New Zealand Pioneer battalion cap badge

Hello and I hope you don't mind me posting this badge here.

I have never seen any restrikes or copies of this badge, but thought I should get some opinion, but I think it is a good original example, and it appears to have some wear on the reverse.

I did some research and found out the following information.

New Zealand Pioneer Battalion Badge
    In 1914 Two Maori Companies were formed, A Company from North Auckland, West Coast North Island and South Island; B Company from the Centre and East Coast of the North Island. They left New Zealand called the Maori Contingent, though their formal name was the New Zealand Native Contingent, in February 1915 and took part in the Gallipoli Campaign from July 1915.
    After Gallipoli the Contingent was split up for a brief period with the men being posted to Territorial units but this was found to be unacceptable and the Unit was reformed as the New Zealand Pioneer Battalion on 20 February 1916 and served in France. Initially the New Zealand Pioneer Battalion had two Maori Companies but from September 1917 became an all-Maori unit and was renamed as the New Zealand (Maori) Pioneer Battalion. The battalion was finally disbanded in March 1919.
    These changes were reflected in the regimental badges, and the example shown here is the New Zealand Pioneer Battalion badge as worn from February 1916 to September 1917. The original badge and the final badge both incorporated the motto Te Hoko Whitu a Tu (The twice seventy (140) warriors of Tumatauenga, God of War).

The New Zealand (Maori) Pioneer Battalion or Native Contingent and Pioneer Battalion was a battalion of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force that served during World War I. The battalion was first raised in 1915 and served at Gallipoli and the Western Front and largely served as pioneers.[1] "Of these by the end of the war, 2227 Maori and 458 Pacific Islanders had served in what became known as the Maori Pioneer Battalion. Of these, 336 died on active service and 734 were wounded. Other Maori enlisted (and died) in other battalions as well."

Mine is the first type, worn from Feb 1916 to Sept 1917.

Regards and thanks,

Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Zealand Pioneer battalion cap badge  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: New Zealand Pioneer battalion cap badge

Great Badge my Great Grandfather was in the Maori Battalion.Where did you get it?

Quote by LutherMoore View Post
    Great Badge my Great Grandfather was in the Maori Battalion.Where did you get it?

Hi Luther, You must be honoured by your Great grand fathers service.

I bought it recently in a local dealers, though they new nothing about it. I am having trouble getting opinions on it's originality, I wonder if you have any info or know of anyone who does? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

AIF
    ?

Hi Jerry, try posting some pics of the badge up on this kiwi forum, you should get a definate answer there.

Militarianz • Index page

Luke.

I dont know anything to be honest it's the first time I have seen it.I will private msg you the email of someone who might know a thing or to about it.

Ps thanks for solving a mystery for me.I have a photo of one of 3 Great Grandfathers I had serve in WW1 and I was trying to piece together who it was. Now I can cross out the one that was in the Pioneer Battalion because in the photo the badge on the hat is different.

Quote by AIF View Post
    Hi Jerry, try posting some pics of the badge up on this kiwi forum, you should get a definate answer there.

Militarianz • Index page

Luke.
    Thanks Luke, I'll try that. I have only had one opinion so far and sadly that was a negative and even though he is probably right, only one opinion is not enough to be certain. It was only cheap and I bought because I liked it, so no big loss, but the person I bought it from thought it was an original and he is a very honest man, with a lifetime return policy. I have been buying items from him for more than 10 years.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

I joined the NZ forum, but it is not very active and in fact another version of this badge was posted for opinions in March and no one had replied. It also had the infilled area between pendant and chin, which is said to be a sure sign of a fake. The British military badge forum is more active and has a lot more info on these.

The use of a slider attachment is seen every where as a sign of a copy as is the infilled area, so mine is a copy, but it was only £6, so no surprise really.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, thanks for the update and the info. "You win some, you lose some"

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

AIF
    ?

Hi Jerry,

Thats a shame mate, Id still keep it though as its a cool looking badge.
    I used to go on the forum a few years back it was a little slow back then as well.

I just had a look on there today sadly it seems rather dead now.

Luke.

Quote by AIF View Post
    Hi Jerry,

Thats a shame mate, Id still keep it though as its a cool looking badge.
    I used to go on the forum a few years back it was a little slow back then as well.

I just had a look on there today sadly it seems rather dead now.

Luke.
    It seems very torpid and I expect I shall not visit there very often. As I said there were unanswered posts from months back, also lots with missing pictures and also deleted posts which made the threads useless. It was worth a try though and I did find some info there that was useful. The other forum, 'The British & commonwealth military badge forum' is much busier and even has a section just on Aussie rising sun badges, well worth a look if you have not already tried it.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast