Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newfoundland Regiment Cap badge

Article about: For the last year, I searched high and low for items relating to my Great Great Uncle's regiment in WWI: The Newfoundland Regiment. And at last, I found it, and for less than triple digits!

Default Newfoundland Regiment Cap badge

For the last year, I searched high and low for items relating to my Great Great Uncle's regiment in WWI: The Newfoundland Regiment. And at last, I found it, and for less than triple digits!

On an Ebay auction, I paid 90 bucks CAD (This includes shipping), for an original, First World War, Newfoundland Regiment Cap Badge. The only others that I have seen for sale were upwards of 200 bones!

Will be paying the man tomorrow, and soon this badge will be making the voyage from the UK back home to where it's regiment originated: The Rock (or just Newfoundland..)

CBH
    ?

Hope it's an original , I know they have faked this badge.
    Good luck from Cape Breton, hope it's a good one.
    You should post the back of the badge also.

?

The Royal Newfoundland Regiment Museum should be able to help you with any enquiries
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/RNFLDRMuseum/posts/

Regards Mark

Here's the back.. You folks got me nervous now. I have never seen a single reproduction of these ever sold in my life.

If it isn't real, then at least I got something to use for reenactment.. At least.

CBH
    ?

I hope someone can give you a definitive answer, Ill see what I can find fine.

CBH
    ?

I did some searching and have found some photos of the reverse of the badge.
    It looks like yours is a repro, I’d try and get your money back.
    Also they are making reproductions of this, the bottom photo is the fake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newfoundland Regiment Cap badge   Newfoundland Regiment Cap badge  

Newfoundland Regiment Cap badge   Newfoundland Regiment Cap badge  

From the back, I would have said an Officers service dress badge, perhaps a collar if not a cap badge (both were the same size and all face the same way), though I have to freely admit to not being up on Canadian badges.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 03-14-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

CBH
    ?

I'm not sure where or how these badges where made, as Newfoundland was still part of the British Empire at the time, and they fought as part of the British army. I'm more used to Canadian WWI badges and they are rarely solid back. But I would defer to you Jerry B, if you think its good, as I have stated I'm not too familiar with NFLD badges.

Unfortunately, if something's worth a quid, someone will fake it (even if it's just for reenacting or theatrical purposes).

Chris, a lot of Canadian badges, as for many other commonwealth nations, were made by British makers though others were made in country.

I am not saying 100% that this is good, but the back looks likely to be an OSD rather than a fake/copy, though perhaps the thread starter might care to share it on the brit badge forum.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast