Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A Nice US Canteen and Ammo Belt

Article about: I have always thought this a lovely canteen set so I thought I would share. This canteen is in better nick than any of my WWII dated examples, which is a bonus considering its almost 100 yea

Default A Nice US Canteen and Ammo Belt

I have always thought this a lovely canteen set so I thought I would share.

This canteen is in better nick than any of my WWII dated examples, which is a bonus considering its almost 100 years old. No corrosion to the inside - Still quite usable

Canteen, cup and belt are all dated 1918 - Although Mills belt mark is hard to read.

I am currently looking for a matching bayonet - There is bit of a price difference between the M1905 and M1917 bayonets
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Nice US Canteen and Ammo Belt   A Nice US Canteen and Ammo Belt  

A Nice US Canteen and Ammo Belt   A Nice US Canteen and Ammo Belt  

?

Very nice

Lovely

Dusty Yank
    ?

Cool

Very nice collection. It still amazes me how a Model 1918 and a model 194x can be so alike. Unlike todays "use it, abuse it, replace it with new technology " Ahh, progress.

I always liked the looks of the aluminum caps when compared to the later black plastics. The only trouble with them was they tended to dry over time and literally almost weld themselves to the threads! Many a cap we used to see with pliers marks on them! lol An excellent set you've put together, by any means, and not an easy task being overseas as well! Well done!

Considering the minty condition of that cover, I would almost wonder if it were unissued? So many of the WWI's I used to see were stamped with Unit markings.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Yes I think this lot managed to stay un-issued throughout both wars.

The other stamping 'Chase 1917 AP'

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Nice US Canteen and Ammo Belt  

Quote by Dusty Yank View Post
    Very nice collection. It still amazes me how a Model 1918 and a model 194x can be so alike. Unlike todays "use it, abuse it, replace it with new technology " Ahh, progress.
    I completely agree with the old saying 'if it isn't broken do not change it'.

This was (in my opinion) far superior gear (compared to what was issued to many other armies of 1918) and was without a doubt great technology for the time - Look at this early 2000's issued Australian cup, there is very little difference in the design - It's amazing.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Nice US Canteen and Ammo Belt   A Nice US Canteen and Ammo Belt  

A Nice US Canteen and Ammo Belt  

Lovely conditioned set Chris,and AGM to boot,the original patent holder of the one piece 1910 spinning process,doesn't get better than your set Bud,and the cups are even more difficult to locate,so well done..............