Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No5 Mills Bomb With Provenance

Article about: Hi all. I was recently invited by and elderly couple who know I collect military items to come and view a collection of ephemera and glass plate negatives that belonged to a relative who ser

Default No5 Mills Bomb With Provenance

Hi all. I was recently invited by and elderly couple who know I collect military items to come and view a collection of ephemera and glass plate negatives that belonged to a relative who served in WW1 (I will post a thread of the ephemera when I have sorted it properly). I was only told about the paper items so imagine my surprise when this was also put on the table. I was brought back by the guy's father who was a lorry driver in the RASC in France. The base plug has a nice 1916 date and it is complete with spring (obviously it is inert). Finds such as this just show that things are still out there. This apparently spent a good many years on a shelf in the garage. Overall a nice original Mills bomb.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No5 Mills Bomb With Provenance   No5 Mills Bomb With Provenance  

No5 Mills Bomb With Provenance   No5 Mills Bomb With Provenance  

No5 Mills Bomb With Provenance  

great looking Mills Bomb. I am looking for one now myself.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

James a good find...& it looks top dolar so thanks for showing. Cheers Terry

?

Nice to see a non ground dug one.

W.E.B LTD

W.E Blake Ltd, London.

Gary J.

Hi James, very nice mills bomb, great that it appears to be complete, have resisted buying one up till now but have noticed that prices for them are increasing fast.

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes Robin the prices do seem to be creeping up, but they are still around. Be patient and you will find one

?

Quite a lot of 36s are reaching high prices £90-120 which may start rising in the future, as James said they are out there, but good ones are getting harder to find complete so if you see a decent one and you have the funds ,buy it , I have a 1918 dated complete 36, with original paint ,given to me by an old chap from a pub I visited in Manchester,its more or less immaculate, the only thing I had to add was the anvil fuse
    Last edited by davejb; 08-16-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: ommission

Dave, have you posted your example? If not could you post a pic as I would love to see it

?

Nice Mills Bomb.
    "Obviously its inert."
    Assume nothing - assumption is the mother of all you-know-what.
    I have a healthy respect for explosives and try to steer clear of relic explosives, which are not taken apart, cut-away grenades or otherwise visually clearly inert.
    I must admit, that Im no expert on the Mills Bomb, but unless you can point me to any detail in the pic, which shows the Mills to be inert, Id take nobodys word for it.
    We have seen live ordnance supposedly being inert turn up time and time again.
    Again, the Mills Bomb might be inert for all I know and clearly have details showing it - Im by no means an expert on these.
    If I recall your previous posts, you have handled items like these before and know more than me about them. Its not my field, as the above clearly shows.
    When I see grenades/bombs, I remember what an EOD pro told me prior to setting off an explosive charge to do away with a pineapple grenade and which I wanted to take a pic off when it exploded:
    "If you can see it, it can see you."
    Sound advice IMO.

EDIT: Never speedread the OP. Re-read the first post and paid attention to the last pic + the spring bit. Disregard my comment pls.
    (Apart from the safety first bit of course)

?

James, I have no proper equipment to post, and I'm no wizard with computers or this tablet I'm using,but I'm going to see if I can post pictures direct from this tablet onto the forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast