Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Old pocket watch from the Somme area.

Article about: Hello Ladies & Gents, I was wondering if any of you could help me with any information on this pocket watch? I bought it in Albert for a small sum. & I presumed it is quite old? &

?

Default Old pocket watch from the Somme area.

Hello Ladies & Gents, I was wondering if any of you could help me with any information on this pocket watch? I bought it in Albert for a small sum. & I presumed it is quite old? & if anybody could read & translate the writing that would be great. Thank you for very much for your time. Cheers Terry. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Pocketwatch £10 (2).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	901478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Pocketwatch £10 (3).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	901479

10 jewel pocket watch, the rest is just a Google search away?

remontoir cylindre - Google Search
    Last edited by Larboard; 11-09-2015 at 04:56 AM.

?

Thank you Larboard I couldn't even read the writing on the back so that was a bonus. Cheers Terry.

Neat old watch, looks like it's been thru hell...

?

Lovely little watch only a few euros, found I believe in the Somme area! & thats the history. I found out since they are Swiss made for the German market between 1888 & 1900.. so it is a nice little bit of history. Shame we don't know more. Cheers Terry.

?

Terry,

How did you find out it was for the German market, is there anything (stamps etc.) inside? I was once told that Roman numerals fell out of fashion around 1910 so the time period definitely fits. I have a pocket watch found near Ypres but unfortunately the dial is missing.

Tony

?

Tony I did a google search & on a forum lots of questions were being asked about this type of watch? & somebody came back with the reply that is was for the German market!!! I dont know anymore than that as of yet?. It isn't a bad starter, as we know on the Somme were the Germans & British ... so at least it didn't come back as say US or other obscure country. So guessing the info is 90% accurate. Cheers Terry.