Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

out of the garbage

Article about: Picked up this funky little thing today at the local garbage tip. Thought it had something military to it, and turns out my thoughts were right. At first look I thought it was some kind of g

Default out of the garbage

Picked up this funky little thing today at the local garbage tip. Thought it had something military to it, and turns out my thoughts were right.
    At first look I thought it was some kind of gravity knife, cause I could here something rattle inside, but it turned out to be some else.
    First took it appart, and noticed it had a small blade on the inside and an oil container in the top. Got home and had a look on google, and it turns out to be a French rifle cleaning kit with a screwdriver that one could place on the front.
    It is discribed as a "outil de nettoyage pour armes de poilu 1914-1918" for a Lebel rifle model 1892. Never seen one before, but after looking a bit futher they do show up for sale here an there.
    Funky little object, I'll give it a clean a and bit of oil and it will go in the vitrine with other French ww 1 stuff.
    Hope you like it, and another object saved from the garbage!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture out of the garbage   out of the garbage  

out of the garbage   out of the garbage  

Tres Interesante. How do you google a thing you dont know what is???

Good question! I can take hours or days in some cases, but this time I was lucky and got at hit within minutes. As I had discovered it had a oil container I already thought it was a rifle cleaning kit, and having a closer look at the markings on the thing I saw a stamp I have seen before on a French bayonet. So I googled outil (French for tool) Lebel and there they were!

nice rescue

Great find. I guess I should start dumpster diving more.

You're wide awake, mate. I have found good things in dumps, especially in German dumps in the early 60s when nobody wanted nazi stuff.

I also find great stuff here in the garbage dump, and now for years they keeo ll the militry stuff aside for me. Of course they dont always reconize items as being military, so I always check the containers myself. In return I give them a 6-pack every now and then.
    But not only military stuff can be found, two years ago I found a very nice and rare 19th century lithograph I sold on the net for 1200 euros.