Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Outstanding!!!!

Article about: If you guys have not seen this, I thought you could appreciate it being posted here. http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Edmon...974/story.html Doug, I know you don't such things or make such a m

Bravo

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    "Amateur war historian" lol
    Well if Doug is an amateur war historian I'm not sure what that makes most of us!!

Steve

?

Thank you gentlemen. I insisted they use "amateur" as there are university educated professional historians which I am not, even though I dare say I spend more time on my hobby than I do on my paying job at times LoL.

Living in a "colony" I fully understand the importance of Gallipoli to the Australians and New Zealanders. In Canada we have Vimy Ridge which was a defining watershed moment in our countries history, proving Canadians were willing and able to act and fight independently and make a good accounting for our men and our country.

Gallipoli is all that and under more tragic circumstances. This flag being not just any medic flag, but THE flag that landed 1st wave 2nd tow with C section 3rd FA and was the beacon seen by all who landed in the coming days and the sign of hope for the wounded and injured in the coming months and also illustrates the tragedy and futility of the campaign and the sacrifices of the men and women who fought there, makes this such a monumental piece of history for Australians, it was important this flag get home in time for its centenary next month.

In addition as collectors we use forums like this to share our treasures. But this isn't just a helmet or gas mask or bayonet, this is significant to an entire nation and I am so proud to play a small part in its repatriation to Western Australia.

Wendy Lugg is probably landing with the flag in Perth as I write this, so from Western Canada to Western Australia let me be the first to say, "Welcome home"!

This is what they looked like...i should point out that Private John Simpson Kirkpatrick (Simpson and his Donkey) were part of the 3rd Australian Field Ambulance..adding to the significance of this flag
    Outstanding!!!! Outstanding!!!! Outstanding!!!! Outstanding!!!!
    https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/A01500/
    NZ Medical Corps soldiers under Red Cross flag | NZHistory, New Zealand history online

The dugout Dressing Stations of the 2nd and 3rd Field Ambulances at ANZAC Cove, about two weeks after the Landing.
    Outstanding!!!!

CBH
    ?

Doug your a True Man among Men . What a wonderful , and heart warming story . Keep up the great works .

?

Good on you Doug...well done!! I make donations myself to what I feel are worthwhile Museums and Historical Societies.... but nothing like the cost of this one.

Wish I could!!!!

Dean O
    Canada

DougB,its all been said,you are a credit to the Human Race.bless you.

?

I totally agree with all that has already mentioned.
    That was an awesome thing to do.
    I applaud you DougB!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Gallipoli was truly Australia and New Zealand's Golgotha of WWI. A nightmare that never seemed to end-except in horrible death. Men shot Themselves just to get out of there knowing full well the consequences and charges they would be facing. This flag saw unspeakable things and tragedies unfold every day that it was flying. "Gallant Gallipoli"-a time that made steel out of some men and broke the souls of countless others. Well done, sending it home to the families of those who gave their lives and more beneath this relic.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast