Pair and plaque to an 18 y/o who died in 1918

Article about: A nice little group that I've had for a while now, bought from one of those house clearance people. A pair and plaque name to Rfn. Frederick Sydney Reynolds which, by the look of the conditi

?

Default Pair and plaque to an 18 y/o who died in 1918

A nice little group that I've had for a while now, bought from one of those house clearance people. A pair and plaque named to Rfn. Frederick Sydney Reynolds which, by the look of the condition, was probably at the bottom of a relative's draw until it came onto the market.

The plaque envelope shows the old address of the plaque factory in Acton which eventually handed production over to Woolwich. Those plaques produced at Woolwich Arsenal are marked with a W on the reverse, sometimes very faint, sometimes not.

Rfn. Reynolds was from Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire in England and was born in 1899.

Before being sent on active service, he received basic training with the 53rd (YS), KRRC with the service number TR/13/50047 (53rd Young Soldiers battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps) and as far as I know, the TR prefix to his number is Training Reserve Brigade but it's explained far better here The Training Reserve of the British Army of 1914-1918

Some time after arriving in France he was attached to 6 Bn. The London Regt., was wounded and died of his wounds on 15/8/18 at 2nd Canadian General Hospital in Le Treport, France. This site has some photos and history of the Canadian hospital in Le Treport Through These Lines: Le Tréport

There's no way of knowing when or where Frederick was wounded but after checking the 6th London Bn. war diary for July and August 1918 I found the following:

July SW of Albert – 57 OR were wounded, 47 of those on 12/7/18
    6/8/18 the enemy attacked front line while in the SW of Morlencourt, 2 OR killed and 2 OR wounded
    Morlencourt is about half way between Amiens and Albert on the Somme.
    7/8/18 pos. moved to assembly tapes, 3 OR killed and 3 OR wounded
    8/8/18 battalion attacked enemy's position
    9/8/18 ditto
    Casualties 8 and 9/8/15
    2 officers killed
    9 wounded
    32 other ranks killed
    243 other ranks wounded
    7 OR wounded at duty
    24 OR missing

The attack on 8/8/18 was the start of the Battle of Amiens and the beginning of the allied offensive which later became known as the 100 day offensive, leading to the Armistice and the end of the war. Ludendorff called the 8/8/18 the black day of the German army.

Rfn. Reynolds is buried in Mont Huon Military cemetery, Le Treport, Etaples.

A picture of a woman came with this group, I've no idea who she was, perhaps Frederick's mum?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FS Reynolds group.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	863395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FS Reynolds1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	863396  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FS Reynolds2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	863397  

An interesting but as always sad group to a young man.

I looked on the list for naming and RFN was used, but somewhat of a surprise as great war medals are not marked Fusilier much to the chagrin of members of the RWF, so interesting that they did use RFN.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Jerry, he's a Rifleman on just about everything except the medals, index card and medal roll.

I've a group to a Welshman in the Lancs. Fus., he too is a Pte. on his medals and scroll.

Tony

It was a matter of contention for the RWF that they did not use Fusilier on the great war medals. I think for the Territorial efficiency medals for WWII they did use Fusilier.

there is a list on the British medals forum that shows Rfn but perhaps that was only on the other docs and not the medals.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.