Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

A Possibly Named Pair Of binoculars

Article about: Hi I have seen a pair of Word War One binoculars for sale and It says in the description that it could possibly be named. This is because on the leather case, it is stamped 'G.Battle 1917'.

Default A Possibly Named Pair Of binoculars

Hi

I have seen a pair of Word War One binoculars for sale and It says in the description that it could possibly be named. This is because on the leather case, it is stamped 'G.Battle 1917'.
    So, is this the name of the gentleman which owned them or just a manufactures mark? (I doubt it is a manufacturing mark as the binoculars were made in France).

Many Thanks

Cameron
    Attached Images Attached Images A Possibly Named Pair Of binoculars 

Default Re: A Possibly Named Pair Of binoculars

Hello Cameron,
    Are you sure that the binoculars and case are original to each other?
    I would think that the mark would be the manufacturer.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi

Im not sure....they seem to fit rather well in their case.

Thanks

Cameron
    Attached Images Attached Images A Possibly Named Pair Of binoculars  A Possibly Named Pair Of binoculars 

Willywombat
    ?

G Battle & Co are known manufacturers/retailers of binos, optical equipment etc. during the WW1 period so it's the manufacturer/retailer rather than the owner, I'm afraid.

I've come across their name before on similar goods. Probably a retailer if the actual binocs are made In France. Probably upper end ones catering for officers' private purchase kit.

Quote by Willywombat View Post
    G Battle & Co are known manufacturers/retailers of binos, optical equipment etc. during the WW1 period so it's the manufacturer/retailer rather than the owner, I'm afraid.

I've come across their name before on similar goods. Probably a retailer if the actual binocs are made In France. Probably upper end ones catering for officers' private purchase kit.
    Hi

Thank you for the information, interesting to find out they were a retailer.

Cameron

Willywombat
    ?

Further to my last, after a bit of digging, I've come accross leather holsters marked to the same company and more bino cases, but with different types of bino in them. Suggest that Battle were either (as we said) officers' retailers, or perhaps saddlers making leather equipment.