Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pre-WWI English Patch?

Article about: Gents, I stopped into a local tag sale shop and happened upon this patch. It may not have any military relevance but still is a well made item. Has anyone seen one like it? I'm curious to se

Default Pre-WWI English Patch?

Gents,

I stopped into a local tag sale shop and happened upon this patch. It may not have any military relevance but still is a well made item. Has anyone seen one like it? I'm curious to see your findings.

Joel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre-WWI English Patch?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Pre-WWI English Patch? 

Here's a closeup.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre-WWI English Patch?  

In form it matches a skill at arms or proficiency badge for RA Gun Layer but with the date I assume it is from a competition....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Jerry,

I thank you for your assessment. It certainly was well made and for something special. It looks plausible as well for being issued for a competition. Thank you again!

Joel
    Last edited by buellmeister; 11-03-2018 at 12:10 PM.

A very nice badge... and very similar to the 1st class layers badge that I was awarded by the Master Gunner while on a shoot with our Bofors 40/70's at Todendorf... although mine was embroidered with off-white cotton... Bl**dy cheapskates!

Cheers,
    Steve

Steve,

Thank you as well my friend. Apparently Pre-War England was still in the "glitz and glitter" phase of showing off their proficiency awards. I'm so sorry you had to succumb to the apparent budget cuts with your's, Steve.

Joel

Quote by buellmeister View Post
    Steve,

Thank you as well my friend. Apparently Pre-War England was still in the "glitz and glitter" phase of showing off their proficiency awards. I'm so sorry you had to succumb to the apparent budget cuts with your's, Steve.

Joel
    What's more... I had to wait two years for that and my 'signaller' proficiency badge... and I only got them then because our regiment was taking over (1971) from the Guards Regt for ceremonial guard duties at Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, and other places. They wanted us looking at our best!