Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Previously unseen photographs of the Great War (Guardian website)

Article about: British soldier in Mesopotamia Caption from the owner of the photo above (not me!): ‘This photograph was taken by my late father, who served with the Devonshire Regiment in what is now known

?

Default Previously unseen photographs of the Great War (Guardian website)

Previously unseen photographs of the Great War (Guardian website)

British soldier in Mesopotamia

Caption from the owner of the photo above (not me!): ‘This photograph was taken by my late father, who served with the Devonshire Regiment in what is now known as Iraq, or "Mespot" as British forces called it during the 1st World War. He described finding a valley in the desert which was strewn with skeletons from some (presumably) ancient conflict. No other details are known to me, but this photo remains.’

This is one of many previously unseen photographs currently on the website of the British Guardian newspaper, which has been collecting readers family photographs and stories, as part of the centenary. Anyone interested in the sights and stories of the Great War, who hasn't yet seen it, may wish to visit:

https://witness.theguardian.com/assi...1&order=latest

Regards,

Philip

Seen that before, it's an old photo of The Carpenters.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Philip,
    I have some unseen ,never posted anywhere pic's from WW1. The were taken by an American officer who was attached to the intel section of a French artillery battalion. This American was an newspaper editor before the war and was the grandfather of one of my wife's girlfriends. The Grand daughter gave them to me for safe keeping. These are very graphic post attack photo's of the damage done during some of the arty barrages that took place. One photo that sticks in my mind is the one with the horse that was blown into the top of a tree. I will have to get them out and post some here on my favorite site in the whole WWW.

Semper Fi
    Phil