Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Princess Mary gift tin

Article about: i decided to have a root around in my parents loft today and came accross a couple of things, nothing amazing. i was initially looking for my grandfathers ww2 army paybook (royal welsh) as i

Default Princess Mary gift tin

i decided to have a root around in my parents loft today and came accross a couple of things, nothing amazing. i was initially looking for my grandfathers ww2 army paybook (royal welsh) as ive not seen it for years and would like to have a propper look at it, however no such look but i did find a ww1 Pricess Mary tin thats in fairly good condition (see pics) it was my great grandfathers on my mums side, he was missing presumed dead untill 1919 untill he was found by the brittish red cross suffering from shell shock, which my grandmother told me he never really recovered from.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Princess Mary gift tin   Princess Mary gift tin  

?

Default re: Princess Mary gift tin

a lovely keep sake to remember him by, oringinally with chocolate inside, not rare but in my opinion very poinient of the time. george w

?

Default re: Princess Mary gift tin

Yes I agree every one on these tins tell a story ! Nice thing !

?

Default Re: Princess Mary gift tin

A really nice WWI family keepsake.

Default Re: Princess Mary gift tin

mikeytp, The contents of the 1914 tin varied considerably; officers and men on active service afloat or at the front received a box containing a combination of pipe, lighter, 1 oz of tobacco and twenty cigarettes in distinctive yellow monogrammed wrappers. Non-smokers and boys received a bullet pencil and a packet of sweets instead. Indian troops often got sweets and spices, and nurses were treated to chocolate. Many of these items were despatched separately from the tins themselves, as once the standard issue of tobacco and cigarettes was placed in the tin there was little room for much else apart from the greeting card. These tins are as George has said, not rare, but are IMO important pieces of history from the worlds first thoroughly modern war.
    Prost ! Steve.