Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Princess Mary's gift tin 1914

Article about: Thanks Mike. A very useful guide. I have saved the pics from the auctions and also labeled them for future reference. Cheers, Ade.

Default Princess Mary's gift tin 1914

Hi Guys, I have wanted to obtain one of these for many years, but I have desired a good condition example which retained it's original gilding over the brass metal which the tins are made of. Most have been heavily polished over the last 90 odd years. I was at a show this weekend and finally found one in the condition I was looking for and at the right price. It even has a few tiny traces of tobacco inside.

I do have one promised to me by a family member but it might be many years before that comes to me.

For info about these tins and the history behind them see this link:

Imperial War Museum Collections > Exhibits & Firearms > Frequently Asked Questions : Princess Mary's Gift to the Troops, Christmas 1914

There are a least seven known makers variations to the dies used to make the tin.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Princess Mary's gift tin 1914   Princess Mary's gift tin 1914  

?

Default Re: Princess Mary's gift tin 1914

Ade you've seen this before .. it's rough, .. and I think WW1 .. Princess Alexanda gift tin.
    (If anybody has further details on this tin, I would be interested ..)

G.
    Attached Images Attached Images Princess Mary's gift tin 1914  Princess Mary's gift tin 1914 

I remember that one Gary, and I have still to see another one like it.

Here is another gift tin from the Great War which I have in my collection. This time just for chocolate.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Princess Mary's gift tin 1914   Princess Mary's gift tin 1914  

OKW
    ?

Hi, i've got a couple of these tins, one brass and the other plated. One had part of a receipt dated 1919 for the tin and the christmas card, thats all he got, presumably for a pow making a late claim. The ciggys and chocolate had long since disappeared.
    I believe the origin of the idea for this tin came from the one Queen Victoria sent to the troops in the Boer war 13-14 years earlier. These tins sometimes surface but there are repros. The main problem with the WW1 tin is the hinges which tend to go.

Hi Ade ..I've had one for years and always watch for them. I found a Smokers version and luckily , neither the Pipe Tobacco or Cigarettes were ever opened. I have seen the repros and once you compare them with an original , they stick out.
    I'd love to find the Lighter and Princess Mary photo Card that belonged with mine.

Princess Mary's gift tin 1914   Princess Mary's gift tin 1914  

Princess Mary's gift tin 1914  

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.

I had not heard of repros of the Queen Victoria tin before? I have toyed with buying one of these. Most seen to sell around the £45 mark here. Any tips on fakes of these?

I have seen the contents for sale, always in tins. I have always been very wary of these. Again any tips on fakes would be great.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade ..One quick thing to look for , see how the Foil Wrap has a faint embossed "Diamond" pattern to it ? None of the repros I've seen have that. I even saw one set of packs that were completely wrapped in Paper with no Foil showing at all ...and the paper was thin and crisp.

Hi Mike, I have observed that diamond pattern on some packs I have seen. I did not know if it meant they were good or not. Thanks!

Cheers, Ade.

So far I've seen 2 diamond patterns used on the real ones...the large style like mine ...and a smaller diamond pattern as well.
    There's one Ebay auction that sells repro contents but , you can't see the foil but you can see how the printing is much bolder on the packs.
    here--
    PRINCESS MARY (1915 CARD)CHRISTMAS TIN CONTENTS (REPRO) on eBay, also Medals Ribbons, World War I 1914-1918, Militaria, Collectables (end time 17-Nov-08 12:45:41 GMT)

Here's an original with the smaller diamond pattern--
    PRINCESS MARY'S GIFT TIN WITH CIGARETTES, TOBACCO ETC. on eBay, also Other World War I Militaria, World War I 1914-1918, Militaria, Collectables (end time 19-Nov-08 18:18:07 GMT)

And another showing the larger pattern like mine (look at left pack)
    Princess Mary Forces Tin Original Tobacco + Cigarettes on eBay, also Tins, Food, Advertising, Collectables (end time 16-Nov-08 19:32:11 GMT)

Here's basic info on the sets --
    The Princess Mary Christmas Box 1914

It is heartwarming to find out that Mary's Christmas Box has not been forgoten ...it has become a tradition.
    -- uk4u Thanks! - Our Patron

"At a time when our Armed Forces are at their busiest for many years, I am delighted to have been invited to become the Patron to the Charity uk4u Thanks! Their aim, 'to deliver festive cheer' to all those deployed on operations at Christmas from all three Services, including regulars and reservists, draws on the best traditions of our Country in supporting Servicemen and Servicewomen deployed away from home at such a special time of year.

This scheme, resurrected from the 1914 initiative by Princess Mary in 2004, has proved to be a great success. The Charity encourages industry and individuals to sponsor the Christmas Box, or 'square Christmas stocking' as it has become known. Whilst the Ministry of Defence assists with expert advice and facilitates delivery, the Box is a gift from you, the grateful Nation, to say thank you for a job well done under trying and often dangerous circumstances, which, thankfully, the majority will never have to experience."

The Duke of Westminster

2007 Christmas Box
    2006 Christmas Box
    2005 Christmas Box
    2004 Christmas Box
    1914 Christmas Box
    Our Patron
    Media Coverage
    Sponsors
    Becoming a Sponsor
    Make a Donation
    Contact Us