Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Private purchase cap badges

Article about: Good afternoon gents, Following on from this thread; http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ww1-al...=1#post1642168 where the discussion began to go off at a tangent to cover the badges sold in PRI s

Default Private purchase cap badges

Good afternoon gents,

Following on from this thread;

Any ideas on what P.R.I stands for?

where the discussion began to go off at a tangent to cover the badges sold in PRI shops I wondered if there might be any interest in the subject of private purchase badges?

Some collectors will not entertain these because they are not service issue but I think they are just as relevant as the issue items because so many soldiers (and officers for that matter) have worn them in preference to the issue items that they cannot be ignored.

They exist because;
    a. Whilst officers do get an issue of official badges they are often obliged to purchase others privately (whether through grants or not) for use in service or best dress.
    b. Other ranks buy them out of preference because they tend to be of much higher quality and therefore far "smarter".

The private purchase phenomenon is not as prevalent today as in recent years during "drawdown" strange as that may seem, the quality of the new badges currently issued has increased enormously by comparison. However, the issue does remain with officers badges.

The main differences are of course in the material and finish which effects the appearance and wear characteristics enormously.

Here is just one example to see if we have appetite for discussion here;

1. The standard issue anodised aluminium Royal Highland Fusiliers (RHF) glengarry badge as worn by Fusiliers and JNCO. A good example because this regiment never had a pre-staybrite badge being an amalgamation of The Royal Scots Fusiliers (RSF gives the grenade) and The Highland Light Infantry (HLI gives the mongram).

2. The private purchase electroplated brass and frosted nickel which may be worn (for may be read is!) by SNCO and officers in barrack and best dress. I personally knew of one CO of 1RHF who had a cap badge made from gold and silver by a jeweller but he was a Scottish laird.

This particular badge really shows the difference even in photgraphs hastily taken. I know which I would rather wear. Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RHF aa.obv.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	973470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RHF Offrs and SNCO obv.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	973472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RHF Offrs and aa.rev.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	973471

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Obvious which one gets my vote, the PRI version wins hands down.

Obviously it was I who went off at a tangent as you called, though I thought it was relevant as it showed the sorts of items and why perhaps they are needed.

Anyway, here is my RWF pri badge and the contemporary AA version. It is not just that the PRI version looks better, it is also made of "real" metal and will last much longer than the AA version.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA vs pri rwf.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	306.7 KB 
ID:	973484  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Obviously it was I who went off at a tangent as you called, though I thought it was relevant as it showed the sorts of items and why perhaps they are needed.

Yep, I agree, very relevant. I just figured that this more narrow thread on private purchase bades (dare I christen them PP?) might run quite nicely on its' own.

Your RWF "PP" makes the AA version look pretty awful and I think I should add one myself soon

Right then gentlemen, lets see your best "PP" examples and I don't suppose we should restrict this to British badges (or even army) as I am sure the phenomenon exists in other forces.

Stand by for a very nice Black Watch Officers / SNCO badge!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-23-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."