Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pvt. Nugent U. Whitton, 4th. Div., KIA Oct. 6, 1918 - Meuse Argonne

Article about: While attending the funeral of my wife's grandfather last weekend, I strolled the old cemetery after the service. I noticed this very large stone measuring nearly 6 ft. from afar and was sur

Arrow Pvt. Nugent U. Whitton, 4th. Div., KIA Oct. 6, 1918 - Meuse Argonne

While attending the funeral of my wife's grandfather last weekend, I strolled the old cemetery after the service. I noticed this very large stone measuring nearly 6 ft. from afar and was surprised at what I saw. He was in the 4th. Div - my division as well. Notice the 4th. Division Ivy symbol in the upper left and right areas of the stone. Normally, there is not this much information on grave stones. I thought I would share some photos of the soldier's final resting place in his remembrance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pvt. Nugent U. Whitton, 4th. Div., KIA Oct. 6, 1918 - Meuse Argonne  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Pvt. Nugent U. Whitton, KIA Oct. 6, 1918 - Meuse Argonne

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pvt. Nugent U. Whitton, 4th. Div., KIA Oct. 6, 1918 - Meuse Argonne  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Pvt. Nugent U. Whitton, KIA Oct. 6, 1918 - Meuse Argonne

>

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Pvt. Nugent U. Whitton, 4th. Div., KIA Oct. 6, 1918 - Meuse Argonne

Any other info on this soldier.Good looking grave stone.I do not think this is a military stone but texas always do it bigger.He could be from a well off family.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Any other info on this soldier.Good looking grave stone.I do not think this is a military stone but texas always do it bigger.He could be from a well off family.
    Hi Chris,

I haven't followed up on additional research yet. I think that you are right about this being a privately purchased stone. It is hard to miss this stone in the cemetery, it is probably the largest there.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I tryed to look it up but did not found anything.You being local to the erea it would be easier.The grave looks in very good condition I would probably think the family may still be around.The top is durty but the face is very clean for 90 years. I have some connections at the Meuse Argonne American cemetery in France I could ask them if they can find some info I know must of their info are about the guys baried at the cemetery but never know.

Name: Nugent Whitton
    Age in 1910: 17
    Estimated birth year: abt 1893
    Birthplace: Texas
    Relation to Head of House: Son
    Father's Name: Benjamin
    Father's Birth Place: Texas
    Mother's Birth Place: Texas
    Home in 1910: Justice Precinct 1, San Augustine, Texas
    Marital Status: Single
    Race: White
    Household Members:
    Benjamin Whitton 51
    Abbie Whitton 18
    Nugent Whitton 17
    Jesse Whitton 13

Name: Nugent Whitton
    Age in 1910: 16
    Estimated birth year: abt 1894
    Birthplace: Texas
    Relation to Head of House: Son
    Father's Name: Benjamin J
    Father's Birth Place: Texas
    Mother's Name: Ida L
    Mother's Birth Place: Georgia
    Home in 1910: San Augustine, San Augustine, Texas
    Marital Status: Single
    Race: White
    Household Members: Name Age
    Benjamin J Whitton 57
    Ida L Whitton 40
    William N Whitton 23
    Irene Whitton 21
    Abbie K Whitton 18
    Nugent Whitton 16
    Jessie Whitton 13
    Hattie L Whitton 12
    Julian Whitton 10
    Ara L Whitton 5
    Julius Z Dugdale 39
    Angeline Dugdale 46
    Bessie R Rogers 20
    Pleas Harn 19
    Thomas J Bickley 26
    Walter B Hancock

His Dad - James Benjamin Whitton

Birth 9 Apr 1853
    in , Rusk, Texas, USA Death

5 May 1946
    in , San Augustine, Texas, USA

His Mom - Ida Lavinia Baggett

Birth 13 May 1870
    in , Marion, Georgia, USA Death

12 Jan 1947
    in , San Augustine, Texas, USA

Steve, If you want to follow up on this, his Graves Registration file is in the National Archives in DC. Most likely his family had him exhumed and brought home in the 1920's. His mom may have gone over on one of the "Gold Star Mothers" tours. Her passport would be in his file as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast