Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal

Article about: Hi Guys, these are two medals from my wife Lez's collection. We bought these at a show where they were on a stall which was selling some military items along with a lot of junk. Although Lez

Default Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal

Hi Guys, these are two medals from my wife Lez's collection.

We bought these at a show where they were on a stall which was selling some military items along with a lot of junk. Although Lez does not collect WW1 items as such, but as they were named to a woman of Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps, we found them interesting. We also liked the patina to them and the fact that they still had the original mint ribbons on them. We enquired the price, to which he replied they were £5 each. That means he was willing to split them up!

Once we got home, we got onto the National Archives website and downloaded the Medal Index card for £3.50. This confirmed that she only had these two medals so the group had not been split

The medals are named to Worker Emily Evett, 22089.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal   Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal  

Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal   Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal  

Attached Images Attached Images Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal 

stjudeb
    ?

Default Re: Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal

How do you know the person that received the medals? I have cards for two women who I hope one of them is my great aunt. Is there a way to go further with getting service history with the notations on the cards? Do you know how to read them? I would like to get more on her service as a nurse.

Thanks for any help.

Jude

?

I remember these Ade .. I just missed them by about 5 minutes !!

"A Nice Pair"

Gary J.

Quote by stjudeb View Post
    How do you know the person that received the medals? I have cards for two women who I hope one of them is my great aunt. Is there a way to go further with getting service history with the notations on the cards? Do you know how to read them? I would like to get more on her service as a nurse.

Thanks for any help.

Jude
    Hi Jude, welcome to the forum!

What cards do you have? Can you show them here? I should be able to help.

Hi Gary, they were a bargain.

Cheers, Ade.

OKW
    ?

Hi stjudeb, as Ade says show the cards if possible. It would make a difference whether the lady in question was a nurse as such and whether she served outside the u.k. She could have been attached to QAIMNS,QAIMNSR,TFNS or VAD or indeed the French Red Cross. Finding out any more about the place and times of service are a bit hit and miss as the records don't exist anymore. A good site to view is www.redcross.org.u.k/index.asp?id=4323. Good luck

stjudeb
    ?

Here are the two cards I found, one for a Jane and the other for Margaret. My aunt's name was Margaret Jane Forbes. I have seen her referred to as Margaret Jane, Jane and Jennie. So either one of these is a possibility. Family legend is that she served in England. She had relatives in Blackburn. She was American, born in 1886 in Fort Scott, Kansas. So in 1917 she would have been 31.

Thank you for helping me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal   Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal  

OKW
    ?

Hi with regard to Jane it would appear that she was something to do with the American red cross ARRC that would fit in with her rank of sister as probably a qualified nurse.
    She was awarded the British War Medal but appears to have had no other entitlement. She was posted to Malta where i presume hospital facilities existed and would have taken the overspill from Palestine, Salonika and of course the Gallipoli campaign. If she wasn't awarded the victory or 14-15 star she can't have been in an active war area. If she was an American citizen she would have been acting as a volunteer in 1915, the U.S not gracing the war with its presence until 1917. Various U.S organisations such as the quakers set up their own medical services and sent them to france and flanders just as a lot of british titled ladies did at the start of the war. These organisations worked for both french and british and so it is possible that Jane may have worked for the british and transferred to the french and thus disappeared off the british radar. She if a U.S citizen may have transferred to american service once they became official. I believe that a U.S citizen who enlists with a foreign army loses their u.s citizenship.
    Of further interest is the no record of m in d, mentioned in dispatches, dated 1922. To prompt this entry there must have been an enquiry, presumably by Jane. To show that you had been mentioned a small metal spray of oak leaves was to be worn on the ribbon of the medal, which should be for ww1 MinD's on the victory medal, which as she wasn't entitled could have caused abit of a quandry, so perhaps she was asking for hers only to be told there was no trace.
    As a long shot here, i can't remember but perhaps Ade will know, M in D's were published in the London Gazette so a search on their site may be fruitful but long winded.
    As for Margaret her service was home service only, she doesnt appear to have served abroad, at least not early enough to qualify for 1 of the stars. Ironic really that one gets both medals for staying at home and the other only gets one.
    Her rank was fore woman, probably in charge of the ancillary staff, washing floors,cooking etc but not nursing as such.
    It would be nice to see the rear of the cards there are sometimes some interesting details there. A site called Ancestry has a monopoly on these cards and i believe they may have both sides of the cards to view. Theirs is a subscription site but depending on how much you do can be more cost effective than downloads from the national archives, where you only get the front of the card and possibly the wrong one at £2 a shot. Ancestry were doing 2 weeks free trial, its surprising how quickly that goes when you peel back the layers of family history, and you need a card to sign up. Good luck

stjudeb
    ?

I found an entry for Jane in the London Gazette but I'm not sure if it is her. It was for service in Mesopotamia. I can't find anything on Ancestry.co.uk. Would there be service records anywhere? I'll try further attempts with the Red Cross.
    Attached Images Attached Images Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal 

stjudeb
    ?

I found a document for Jane Forbes at the National Archives but I can't tell what kind of document it is. Will it be the medal card that I already have or her service record? Would you know? Thanks,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Queen Mary's Army Aux Corps War & Victory medal  

OKW
    ?

Hi, i'd go with the award for the Royal Red Cross as to her, the details fit.The second part at Kew would appear to be a file or entries about her over and above the medal index card which you already have. Look at a site called long long trail for more info on ww1. The class 2 medal was issued in silver having been introuduced in November 1915. Look at QARANC - Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps for info about the award. That also shows that the entry on her mic, arrc, is in fact this award 2nd class, associate royal red cross. This still leaves the mystery of the M in D entry. Presumably as she would have had to be brought to notice to qualify for the award this may have been the mention.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast